Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing to install my 1166 kit and have a few questions. What do you use to stabilized the inner pistons while installing the cylinder block? What trick do you use to compress the rings? I'm going to use stock head and cams(for now) K&N pods, 4-1 Kerker pipe. The carbs are absolutely tuned in right now. (Using a Dynojet stage 3) Will I have to rejet for the 1166 mod?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Ah, the mighty 1166 kit -- a good move! But it's always tricky getting the block back down over the pistons. Esp. since you have bored out the cylinders, there is not a lot of the previously generous 'chamfer' left at the bottom of the sleeves to guide the pistons & rings in.

I used short lengths of pine across the crankcases under the piston skirts. That way no metal gets damaged, and the pistons are held square-on to the descending piston block.

Although you may be able to get things together without them, you really will need some piston ring clamps to hold the rings in as you tickle and prod and wriggle the pistons into the bores. I made my own from thin strips of aluminium sheet, but they didn't work really well, although I got there in the end.

So I would see if you can borrow or hire a set from a local motorcycle mechanic; they really will make things much easier.

As for re-jetting, unfortunately that is such a bike-specific thing. However, my punt would be that you will probably only have to adjust the pilot mixture, and put in a bigger set of main jets. My machine ran 107.5 main jets standard; now I have a set of 120 main jets with the 1166 kit, and it seems to be well sorted.

Hope that helps.

Comment

chef1366

I have used Jubilee hose clips to fit up pistons in the past. Tridon (Australian) make a thin sectioned stainless adjustable hose clip that is 1/2" wide. These are ideal as they will compress all three rings at once on the 850 pistons. You should be able to locate a US equivalent.
      The ring separation on your new pistons should be of a similar configuration. If you haven't done the reboring yet, get those chamfers recut for a better lead in.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I second the wood blocks for the center pistons
        Also, stuff some rags or paper towels around the rods to keep anything out of the crankcase
        I also second the hose clamps as piston ring compressors. Lube the rings and piston and set the clamp tension so they will slide off
        Start with the inner pistons, then lower the block some and do the outer pistons
        Pull all the hose clamps and paper towels out and lower the block onto the case. Make sure all the gaskets and O rings are in place before the final drop.

You may find "Assemby Lube" to be helpful for this and any other mechanical assembly (wrist pins)

Your jetting will probably still be good, but who knows?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Assembly lube is fine everywhere EXCEPT on the piston rings & bores, because there must be a certain amount of friction for them to bed in.

In fact, even a smudge of assembly lube on the pistons/ rings/ bores can severely hamper the running-in process, so be very careful with the stuff.

Of course it's just the ticket for cam journals, cam lobes, wrist pins, etc.

Comment

excellent posts guyz...

gr8 project chef.... goodluck m8

gimme pics

Comment

who are you chaps getting these 1166 kits from? a link or website address would help since i'm getting redy to go with this one for my three cylinder 1100 to make it four again:

Bill

Comment

don't forget to pull the camchain up first

just put a bit of tie wire on and pull it up before the final drop
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by billthebike View Post
                  who are you chaps getting these 1166 kits from? a link or website address would help since i'm getting redy to go with this one for my three cylinder 1100 to make it four again:

Bill

I got my kit off Ebay for $350.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X