Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damage control for Air box serving as animal shelter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage control for Air box serving as animal shelter?

Well, I had an interesting experience today. While going to (finally) pull the battery for the winter on my '82 GS1100E, I discovered that some rodents had made themselves a cozy nest in my airbox. The vermin themselves were nowhere to be found, but they left behind at least a cubic foot of tight packed, well-chewed wood, fur, and other organic matter (i.e. droppings). They also chewed right through the air filter in two places.

I have only ridden the bike 2 or 3 times since the fall, and I keep it outside under a cover. I didn't notice any obvious performance issues when I went for rides, but I did start it up just before discovering the nest, so it has run at least once in this fouled condition.

2 questions:
    Obviously, I need to replace the air filter. Since this is the first time I've had to, is it worth replacing the paper filter with anything fancier? I don't have any performance dreams, but I like the idea of washing rather than replacing as is stated in the K&N or EGMO literature. If I go to a K&N, though, do I need to make further adjustments? I want to keep it stock.
    Also, what sort of other damage investigations should I do? I imagine some bits and pieces of wood certainly could have fit through the holes in teh filter.

I am reasonably handy but just got the bike mid-summer and it is my 1st; I am still learning my way around it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Nick

PS I'm already planning in putting some D-CON in the airbox till springtime.... ugh.

Check out filters from Uni. If you put it in the original airbox with no other mods you will be fine. No changes required. This probably holds true with K&N, and Emgo also. When you start drilling out or removing your airbox, THEN, you'll have to rejet....
    BTW don't forget to oil your new filter....
    -Tim

Comment

use the K&N replacement filter and you will not need to change any thing- They are nice because you just have to wash and oil them every few thousand miles--There is a special acid you use before you wash it and then it must be thoroughly air dried before you oil it.

Comment

Thanks for the air filter advice, guys. Since neither of you mentioned it, can I assume that you don't think I should worry about the engine having ingested mouse turds and wood chips?

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Low
          Thanks for the air filter advice, guys. Since neither of you mentioned it, can I assume that you don't think I should worry about the engine having ingested mouse turds and wood chips?

Nick
          You could pull your plugs, rotate the engine and look inside each cylinder. My estimation would be that, unless something got stuck in the carbs, you probably have nothing to worry about. Unless some small metal parts are mixed with the rest of the stuff, the chance of engine damage is low.

Everything mentioned is subject to incineration. If it got through the carbs, then it would likely burn up in the cylinder and be blown out with the exhaust.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X