Quick question about a brake rotor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
    I think you did the right thing. The front rotor provides something like 70% of the stopping force. Brakes are just too important.
    I'm sure some don't agree about how much material you can turn off, but it's a very small amount that most of the time wouldn't be enough to make the rotor true again. If you can check a factory manual about the service limits for your model, I'm sure you'll find that it won't allow much loss due to wear or removal.
    If the factory has a built in safety factor here and you possibly could remove more material than they say, I'm not willing to take the chance.
    I ordered a NOS rotor from flatoutmotorcycles.com. It was less then 150 bucks and it should do the trick. I am not willing to test the limits of the motorcycle brakes that I have. The pads are worn out and the rotor is grooved. If its my safety and others on the road that are in danger of this becoming a catastophic failure then I will just replace things and start fresh.

Comment

Lightly scored/scratched rotors are common in normal use and are not a safety hazard. The Clymer manual recognizes this and advises not to be concerned unless the grooves are deep enough to snag a fingernail. The Haynes manual recognizes light scratching to be normal and inevitable. If a disc is not excessively scored and is within thickness and runout specifications, it is perfectly OK for service.

Comment

I fully agree with Boondocks about lightly scored rotors being safe.

One way to avoid excessive rotor wear is to have spare wheels handy, with new tires fully installed on them, at any given time.

I have two rear wheels, a 17 and the stock 16, for my GK. Each has its rotor (the 17 has a solid rotor, since it's off my old 79 GS850). Each also has a different driven gear, allowing me to alternate on items that wear.

I have three front wheels, each with a set of rotors, from past GS850's I've owned. Alternating this way assures me of many more years and miles of enjoyment.

One can find complete front and rear wheels on eBay, reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
        X