Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a part from an older bike fit into mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a part from an older bike fit into mine?

I've got a small problem. My 1984 gs 550es is missing an ignition and key and I found one on E-bay. Unfortunately the one on E-bay is for an 1981 gs 550.
    My question is how I could go about finding out if the part would fit. And for the future, how could I find out if other parts for older or newer bikes will fit into mine.

You can try using www.bikebandit.com to see if the different years share alike part numbers. Are you talking about just the ignition switch/key or the entire ignition system. I'd say chances are that the switch will work. Seems that generic aftermarket ignition switches fit a wide variety of makes and models. Worse comes to worse, you could use a electrical diagram to fit a new switch into your current system.

Comment

If it looks physically the same it should work and plug right in.

Comment

Thanks alot for your advise. I ordered the part, and hopefully all goes well.

(BTW, it is just the key and switch)

Comment

Originally posted by maxiim
          Thanks alot for your advise. I ordered the part, and hopefully all goes well.

(BTW, it is just the key and switch)
          That's no problem at all. You can make things like that fit by adjusting the attachment holes a little on the mounting flange.

Comment

Working...
          X