Mechanic in Folsom/Sacramento CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanic in Folsom/Sacramento CA?

Well I just got a 1980 GS1000S Saturday. Very original, looks in good shape, needs some polish but all the parts are there, no serious rust iproblems that I can see so far, but has the usual been sitting issues. Gave a limited try to start it battery weak but did turn it over, run lights etc but no start. Limited try at push start but no success.

Previous owner said had been running great then sat, he had carbs off himself, twice, and would only run with choke on, then gas overflow when turned off. Sounds like carb issues to me. Like to get a somebody who know what they are doing to get a good working setup right from the start.

I have no time, and very limited mechanical skills, right now so would love to find a mechanic in the Folsom/Sacramento California area that work on older bikes like this to see if can get it running right again.

Then I can spend the winter polishing and dreaming about next summer. Can't wait to get this going and go for a ride.

Any info anyone may have would be greatly appriciated.

Bill
    1980 GS1000S - Not running now, but just wait
    ....http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/wtsmith_95630/

It might be hard to find anyone to work on your bike. Most shops only want to work on the new stuff. It sounds like your carbs are dirty and need adjustment. We could step you through getting them in order... not really that hard or time consuming. There is a great carb clean-up article in the GS garage on the homepage.
    If you don't have the time, or you feel it's not something you want to tackle, I would be happy to try and help you out. I don't live too far away, and am often in the Sac area on business. I'd be happy to help get another old GS on the road! Maybe I could stop by and check the bike out... make sure it's getting spark, etc. If it is the carbs, I could take them with me and rebuild them at home and get them back to you. Let me know if I can help.

Bruce
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

nice 1 Bruce...=D>

gr8 GSR spirit buddy....8)

cheers

Phark

Comment

Hello Bill, I just replied to your post in the Routes forum. Good to hear from another Cali GS'er.

Bruce is right. Good luck finding a mechanic to work on these classics. I just dove in and started getting my hands dirty. Now I wouldn't trust anybody else to work on my bikes.

I'm also willing to help you out if your time & skills are limited. I have a friend who lives in Folsom, and wouldn't mind the chance to pop in and surprise her. There are also a few brothers who live a little closer. Just say the word and you might have a gang in your garage! (you buy the pizza!)\\/

Comment

Yeah, sounds like float valve needles are full of goop and allowing fuel to flow continuously. Were I you, Bill, I would most certainly take advantage of Bruce's generous offer!

And post some pics of the ole girl!!!:-D
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Thanks for the offers of help from everyone, I really do appreciate them. My problem is that I have not had any free time at all for several months now. Work has been crazy, kids playing on multiple sports teams, etc. Am hoping to get started on the bike between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I did find a mechanic. A guy I work with used to work at a Yamaha dealer and he recommended a mechanic they always had work on any older bikes they got in. He is now at National Cycle here in Sacramento. I am hoping to get the bike over there soon to have him take a look at it.

I am a great mechanic, while taking it apart, my problems always happen trying to put it back together again.

Anyhow thanks again for all the offers. And if your ever up this way your always welcome to stop by and say hi. And I always buy the pizza!

Comment

They need a good cleaning BUT offten overlooked item is the O ring on the needle seat IT must be replaced
              www.cycleorings.com
              ALSO MAKE sure to have him check the petcock operation
              Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Did You Say Pizza?

Comment

And Beer, but only after we stop working on my bike!!!

Comment

I just to own GS 1000S

Bill i'm glad to see that you found a mechanic to work on your bike and even more pleased to see that your happy with the purchase. I like to thank you for making this transaction painless and i still would want to see some pics of the bike since i still miss it. I have pic of it when i used to ride it. wishing you well and safe ridding.
                    LUIS

Comment

Working...
                    X