Rim swapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim swapping?

I have a 1982 650 that has brand new rubber on it and what I want to know is if it would be possible to swap them with my 1978 1000? Their is a size difference in the back only.
    The 650's size is 120/90-18 65H.
    The 1000's size is 130/90-17 68H
    I'm trying to save myself approx-$300.00 but I want to know if it is worth the hassle. Would the sprockets and rotars be compatible on the other bike or would they need to stay with their original machine? I dont want to open a big can of worms.
    In a nut shell...will a tire one size larger on the back work?

NO
    Dink
    the rims are different sizes for a start, the tyres are different widths, so no is the only answer.

Comment

I don't knopw if you understood me, I wanted to swap the tires on the rims.

Comment

I think you are definately opening a can of worms... Can you make it work?? Probably.. if the wheel clears the frame etc when in the bike it'll probably fit. Have I done it.... NO Would I do it... Probably not. Is it because your rim is also bad? or are you just trying to use a tire you have as opposed to buying a new one?. Good luck with it. The larger diameter wheel would make you gearing taller (less off theline power and highr top end).. You might not even feel it.. I'm no expert, I just know that when I try to change the original design, it's usually a mess....

Comment

Oh I see you want to swap both wheels to save on tires... Not a bad idea, but I truly do not know if it would work....

Comment

The more I think about it, I should stop being so cheap! I know I'm going to loose money if I sell them on the Bike, cest le vie.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
              I don't knopw if you understood me, I wanted to swap the tires on the rims.
              I undrstood quite clearly I believe. You cannot put a 17"tyre on an 18" rim , it is an inch to small . Conversely you also cannot put an 18" tyre on a 17" rim the tyre is to large
              Dink

Comment

I don't want to pull any rubber off any rims. I want to put the rim with the rubber on the other bike. I know that a 17in tire needs to be on a 17in rim. Thanks for your patience Dink, but I think I'll just spend the money on new tires for the 1000. I think that the wider tire should just stay where it is.

Sorry for not explaining it well enough in my original post.

Comment

From a safety standpoint NEW rubber is always the way to go. One place you do not want to skimp on is tires. As rubber gets old it gets harder and hence less flexible. Motorcycle tires are the most punished of vehicle tires and you dont want them to fail you when you need them. You don't have to buy the most expensive rubber to ride on but buy tires that suit your riding style. Wider tires on the GS's normally narrow rims will not get you better traction or cornering. Radials wont work on the old bikes that were never designed to use them. I put tubes in mine even if the rims dont require them for added safety.

Comment

I've got Metzlers on the front do I need the same tire on the back? My front is in good shape so I only need to replace the back one.

Comment

Working...
                    X