Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New turn signals... bike won't stay running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New turn signals... bike won't stay running.

Howdy.

I put mini-signals on my 78 GS 750. Same wattage, not LEDs. Wired up correctly, double checked against the schematic in the owners manual. Good connection to the frame.

They stay lit when I turn them on (no flashing), and they kill the bike when I turn them on while it's running. Headlight, too.
    When I hook it up via jumper cables to the car, everything works just fine. Regardless of whether the bike is running; blinkers flash.

Anybody with experience have ideas?

Also- Stock signals don't work when I swap them back.

I'm no electrical genius, but I'll bump this thread up for you. Is your battery in good shape? What kind of flasher did you use?

Comment

Thanks.

Battery is about 2 weeks old. Got a few rides in on it before I switched to the new signals, charging system worked just fine.
      Stock flasher.

](*,)
      I want to ride.

Comment

Change the flasher

Change the flasher to a digital flasher they work with lower bulb drain..

as to the killing of the bike.. place a amp meter in the flasher circuit and see if it is pulling more then 3 volts..

also check the output of the charging system per the r/r pages... you may have a okay charging system but the the new signals are cleaner contacts and new style bulbs.. they may be pulling ore then their fair share of the current..

$.02 for what its worth

Comment

Thanks! Some definite things to look at/consider there.

Comment

Check all of your connections, and makes sure you don't have a loose ground somewhere. also get a 2 prong electronic turn signal relay for the lights to signal properly.( about 9 bucks from any auto parts store).

Comment

I had the same situation after changing my signals. Double checked and triple checked... Turned out it was the connector under the tank. I had pulled the wires to get a little more slack and loosened some of those wires.

Comment

Working...
              X