Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a 1980 GS550L, now what? Problems ensue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a 1980 GS550L, now what? Problems ensue.

Hey guys, I am a new but proud owner of a GS. My bike is a 1980 GS550L and I love it. It is my first bike and seems to be in great condition for the price I paid, $650. I just have a few questions. In every gear besides nuetral my bike will not go above 4500-5000 RPMS. When I pull on the throttle past this point it almost seems like it is governed. My first guess would be that this is either the carbs or the spark plugs. Also, I can not ride the bike without the choke being out at least a quarter of the way because it will stall out when i stop. Does this also have to do with the carbs? Should I just bring the bike to a shop so I can get it tuned? Also, anyone know where to get a replacement kick stand as the ball on the end of mine fell off. Thanks alot and happy riding.

Almost certainly a carb/fuel supply issue. Not a good idea to run with the choke on either, you should have the carbs and fuel system checked by a professional before you do anything else!
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

Welcome tot he forum! That's a nice bike you have. Check the picture links in my signature to see what I've done with mine. The likely culprit is dirty/gummed carbs.
      If (like me) this is you're first bike and you don't know anything about it, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for finding this awesome website. Then do some research. This website, along with a Clymer maintenance manual for you bike will help you get her purring in no time flat. Use the search feature at the top of each page to search for keywords on the subjects you have questions about. Also just do a plain search for "550" and you can get a lot of information that way.
      Check out the GS Garage and Carb Cleanup Series for info on how to clean/rebuild your carbs. I was afraid at first, but it turned out to be a fairly simple job and it saves you a lot of cash for not having to take it to the shop.
      Go over the bike and check your electrical connections and grounding points for clean connections.
      Test the charging system and battery.
      Check the tires and air pressure.
      Lube and adjust the chain.
      Lube all your cables.
      Change the oil and filter.
      Check the brakes and brake fluid.
      Etc, etc, etc....

You can do all of this on your own and save a lot of money and learn in the process. Start with your carbs and remember to take pictures during disassembly so you can make sure to assemble everything correctly later on. Got more questions? Just ask.

PS - You know we'd love to see a picture of her!

Comment

Greetings and as mentioned, this site with all the members and their combined info, will get that 550 running like a fine Japanese time piece. From first hand experience with the same issue on the GS 650 L that I bought this spring, there is an order of approach that I would recommend. Start at the air box and work your way forward, making sure that you've checked everything ie. clean filter (oiled) and greased at the fitting points to the air box and lid, check all clamps to make sure they're tight, look for crimped fuel line and make sure you are getting a strong flow from the petcock. If you want to look at the thread that I had going, search for "throttle response", it will give you a good idea of what I went through to get my GS up and running...it might help you.

Worry not...it too will run!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the immediate help guys, I was talking to a friend and he said it probably was the carbs too. I don't know what kind of tools I have around but I think I may take a shot and try to clean them myself. As soon as I can ill put up some pics!Thanks alot fellas!

Comment

Working...
          X