GS1000/1150 motor swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000/1150 motor swap?

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if the gs1000,1150 and 1100 are basically the same size, well what I want to know is if you can bolt in an 1150 or 1100 into a 1000 frame. or can you bore out a 1000 to an 1100 and put on the four valve head. Are these things possible or just wishfull thinking.

I've never seen the 1100 or 1150 in person. I have seen quite a few photos and they look the same. I'm sure you can do this. Even if you had to make a couple of new motor mount brackets, it still wouldn't be very hard to do.

I'm all for using a newer more powerful engine over hotrodding an older one to get the same power. Don't get me wrong, I love building HP's. But you always come to the point where you compromise drivability.

I hope someone else can chime in who knows the diffeerence in these powerplants. But be assured that what you propose can be done.

Steve

Comment

Everything will bolt up except the motor mount, just below the alternator cover. This mount is very simple to make.

Comment

Sweet. Looks like I got myself a fun summer project. It is very nice to hear that it should be an easy swap. I would just buy an 1150 but my wife thinks they are terribly ugly (i do not share that opinion so no hate mail please) I have thought about putting in a newer motor. there are a ton on ebay. but all the really powerful motors were meant to be hidden beneath airodynamic plastic. hence they are not all that great to look at. I think a mildly built 1150 would be more than enough power as this bike will only see the street. As long as I can ride a good long wheelie I will be happy! Is there any difference between the 1100 and 1150 besides displacement?

Comment

Saw that there was an 1100 motor on Ebay last week. Sure looked like a 1000 engine. had to email and ask him for sure. Send some pictures when you got it mounted!

Comment

I saw that motor to. Looked exactly like the one in my bike now. I will send pics but I won't be able to do it until may or june.

Comment

Working...
            X