No announcement yet.

Burned wires need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to prepare my self for the worst. How hard is it to install and setup up a Dyna S? I live in an appartment and don't have a lot of tools...

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
    That's your CDI box for your electronic ignition. Fix that wire. If it works, then your good. If it doesn't work you probably fried it by leaving the ignition on so long. You might get lucky and find a used one on ebay that actually works, or you can get rid of it all together and go with a dyna S ignition. A new CDI is more than a new Dyna S

Comment

Originally posted by Matt K View Post
      Just to prepare my self for the worst. How hard is it to install and setup up a Dyna S? I live in an apartment and don't have a lot of tools...
      You will need a mechanical advance unit from an older GS with points. They come up on ebay all the time. The rest of the process is just simple wiring.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

My 1981 had a stock mechanical advance (and electronic ignition), so yours might too. If you take off the timing cover and see a wheel with weights and springs then you're good to go. Order a Dyna S and it's a quick and easy bolt-on (serously, it's really stinkin' easy). www.z1enterprises.com has them for $120.

Comment

little black box on right

That is your primary ignitor. For the ignition.

Must have over heated?

There is one on ebay right now for your 81. Reasonable.

Or you can upgrade cheap to the new systems.

Comment

You guys rock!

I have fixed the wire today and tonight when I get home I will try and see if that fixes my problem. Otherwise I will have to try to get that ebay item.

Comment

OK today I got the module reinstalled today. I replaced the wire that was burned up in the wiring harness. I removed spark plug 4 and laid it down on the cylinder head. I then tried to start my poor bike. Well it did not start.

What I got was no spark, UNTIL I stopped pressing the start button. When I did that I noticed a very weak white spark. So I tried it again and got the same results.

So where do I go with this now? Should I start a new thread? Any help would be great!

Thanks

Comment

Fixed

I took my bike to a shop last week.

He found many many shorts and pinched wires. I dont believe that I would have been able to solve this problem myself, but I wanted to thank everyone that tried to help me out! Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                X