Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reversed Cables When Jumping Bike....Now Won't Turn Over....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reversed Cables When Jumping Bike....Now Won't Turn Over....

This is turning into a nightmare. I've gotten the carbs tore down and rebuilt, relocked the bike since I bought it w/o a key, and was working on getting the carbs tuned earlier but it didn't want to fire off and the battery was dead. I tried jumping it off w/ a crappy set of cables that weren't label'd pos. or neg., and managed to connect it reversed. Now it won't even turn over......

What did I more than likely fry? ](*,)

Hopefully just fuses. Start there and see what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Hopefully just fuses. Start there and see what you find.
      Where would I look for these fuses? I'm at school, just moved and can't find my manual.....will be workin in the dark......

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeykrus View Post
        Where would I look for these fuses? I'm at school, just moved and can't find my manual.....will be workin in the dark......
        Generally under the left side cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          Generally under the left side cover.
          Thanks, I'll check that first when I get home.

Comment

you either blew a fuse, or completely destroyed your bike's electrical system...

somewhere in between... hope for the best
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

It is for fear of that exact situation that I never jump my bike. I always pull the cables and hook up a trickle charger. Anyway, best of luck to you chasing down all your burned wires.

Comment

As long as he didn't have an aluminum foil main fuse he should of just popped it.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  As long as he didn't have an aluminum foil main fuse he should of just popped it.
                  (lol).......you must have seen my old '70 Maverick.

Comment

You may have damaged the starter or the starter solenoid.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                      (lol).......you must have seen my old '70 Maverick.
                      No, but I saw my 70 Yama XS650 catch on fire one night when the welds gave on the rear fender and shorted out the fender wires and grew and grew and grew. Though I rewired it successfully it taught me a lesson#-o
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, haha this thread sure grew!

It just popped the little inline fuse under the left cover. Replaced it w/a spare and it was good!

Still won't crank.....i'm hunting down fuel problems. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeykrus View Post
                          Thanks for the comments, haha this thread sure grew!

It just popped the little inline fuse under the left cover. Replaced it w/a spare and it was good!

Still won't crank.....i'm hunting down fuel problems. :-(
                          It must be cranking, you must mean it still won't fire???

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                            It must be cranking, you must mean it still won't fire???
                            Yup! Haha, I thought it out in my mind right, and typed something else!

It turns, but won't fire. It's getting fuel from the petcock, at the line going into the carbs, and will fire momentarily if I use starting fluid....but it dies when the fluid burns off. I have fresh gas in the tank.....have already tore down the carbs......I think when I removed the tank, flushed, and refilled, something may have gotten knocked loose and went into the carbs. I removed the inline filter.

Comment

The old glass 3AG type fuses could be replaced with a .22 LR cartridge. It gave new meaning to blowing a fuse!

Comment

Working...
                              X