Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition Repair following an accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Repair following an accident...

Well, I crashed my bike (83 GS1100ESD), but at least it wasn't my fault (for what it is worth). Now, I'm looking to repair the bike, but i have an issue of concern.

When the bike crashed, it flipped from the left side to the right, crushing the ignition cover, and bending the mechanical advancer and bolt. I removed all of this and examined the advancer and saw that it had bent.

My question is could i have done damage to the crankshaft when this happened?

Also, what other sending units/mechanical advancer can i use?

Originally posted by Druro View Post
    Well, I crashed my bike (83 GS1100ESD), but at least it wasn't my fault (for what it is worth). Now, I'm looking to repair the bike, but i have an issue of concern.

When the bike crashed, it flipped from the left side to the right, crushing the ignition cover, and bending the mechanical advancer and bolt. I removed all of this and examined the advancer and saw that it had bent.

My question is could i have done damage to the crankshaft when this happened?

Also, what other sending units/mechanical advancer can i use?
    You should get a Dynatek ignition ( Thats what I would get ) and get it running and take a look and see if its running true. As long as the cases aren't cracked you'll probably be OK.

Comment

I plan to get it running, but before shelling out for a nice ignition, i'd like to try a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Druro View Post
        I plan to get it running, but before shelling out for a nice ignition, i'd like to try a used one.
        You are going to spend money on a used ignition and then buy a good one and go through the work twice? If you plan to keep the beast why not do it once and be done with it?

(-: :-)
        ^

-- --

Comment

I dumped over my 85 700e over the summer and broke the case over the ignition and made quite the mess. I pulled a vice grips out on the side of the rode and bent things back and drove it on home.

I just picked up the parts I needed on e-bay for 20.00 and all has been well.

It maybe worth a call to Dennis Kirk to see what other igntions may work.

I suspect your crank is just fine

Comment

I talked with my mechanic, who said that these old cranks can handle that type of damage far better then the new ones. He feels there is no problem with that part.

He did mention that he never found a difference on the GS's with the Dyna ignition vs stock. He did say the 3 ohm coils were far better though.

Comment

Working...
            X