Oil Weep through base gasket during assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Weep through base gasket during assembly

I had put my cylinders in, and then the head. I needed to get some things so I sprinkled oil over the valve buckets and cam journals (cams were not installed). Well I get back, and torque down the head. Well I realized that I had oil weeping out from the base gasket. Evidently some went down the journals, and since I hadn't torqued the head, it weeped out the base. The question is, is my base gasket shot now that it most likely has oil all over it?

Thanks guys
    Shaun

A little oil on the base gasket isnt going to keep it from sealing when its torqued down. I hope you replaced the "O" ring seals for the four inside studs at the base gaskets though. If you didnt, its most likely going to leak like a beech. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I replaced the ones that wrap around the cylinder bases, and the two oblong ones that go around the outside studs. I hope those are the ones you are talking about =).

Shaun

Comment

Those are the ones I mean. On my 1150, I remember the stud "O" rings as being on the inner studs, but my memory may be faulty, or your bike may be different.

Earl

Originally posted by minimag79 View Post
        I replaced the ones that wrap around the cylinder bases, and the two oblong ones that go around the outside studs. I hope those are the ones you are talking about =).

Shaun
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X