Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    For all the professional, semi-pro and shadetree bike mechanics out there-

If you were to do it all over again, would you still be a motorcycle mechanic? What do you like about your job, and what don't you like? Was it hard to get your first job? Does formal training and certification like MMI make a difference in getting a job? Is it hard to make a living? What's the typical career path like? I really enjoy working on my bike and am considering going back to school to become a fulltime wrench.

Thanks for any information.
    Wow, I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I took a degree and was "looking forward" to a life spent in cubicles and middle management. In a flash of inspiration (during a caliper rebuild, actually) I realised that I don't really like people...I do like things though!

So I'm going back to school to be a machinist! I considered a motorcycle mechanic course, but to be honest they don't make very good money and have to put up with a lot of crap...I worked in a shop for about a year and got to see it first hand. Armed with that experience, I spent lots of time talking to machinists before I decided to jump into it. Although I do really, really like working on me bikes. I have two full restores to my credit already and have a third (a 1977 GT550, heavily modded) on the way.

So, I recommend doing everything you can to familiarize yourself with the 'real world' of a motorbike mechanic. The posts in this thread already must have given some insight. Also, make sure you do as much research as you can to see if there is a market for what you are training in.

Wow...your posts mirror some of my own posts made recently exactly.

Comment

Well, let me tell you about what I currently do.

I've been programming computers since I was 8. The first functional program I ever wrote that actually did something was a guessing game where you had to try to guess a randomly generated number between 1 and 100 until you got it right. I wrote that when I was 9.

Flash forward 21 years. I'm now a software and database developer for a publicly traded company. While I'm good at what I do, I just don't get the kicks out of it that I used to. Creating software just isn't as exciting or interesting as it used to be.

And I just recently (June of this year) bought a GS. I've discovered that working on bikes is every bit as technical and complicated as programming computers, but instead of some abstract data import routine working correctly when you're done, you actually get to ride your work! It's totally gratifying and exciting to work on something physically tangible.

Long term, I'd like to open a quick-service motorcycle shop where you could get your oil/filter/lube done and tires changed while you wait, kinda like Jiffy Lube, except for bikes. The local shops are all extremely backlogged in the summer - I had to set an appointment 3 weeks in advance to get a simple tuneup done on the GS when I first bought it. If I could have gone somewhere that could've changed the oil, filter, plugs, check my tire pressure and lubed/adjusted my chain in a half hour while I waited, I would've been all over that. But such a place doesn't exist....yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DieMonkeys View Post
        I don't care about not making much money, I don't mind long hours, I want to do something I want to do.

Then I got my bike, worked on the carbs and found peace of mind when I was done. When I got the new carbs and replaced the broken carb and then installed them, pushed the ignition and listened to the bike roar to life (momentarily) that sealed the deal.

I love working on my bike and would love to make a living doing this kind of thing.
        Just don't let it spoil your love....
        I loved working on my cars when young.
        After I spent a couple of years working on other people's car for a living, it wasn't fun any more.
        It turned it into work.
        After that I only worked on my stuff when I was forced too....mostly when I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it.
        It only took about 20 years before I started turning wrenches for fun again....

Just a thought....

Bob
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I'd really like to learn more about how to work on bikes. The local technical school has a motorcycle mechanic program. They only have 2, very basic (oil change, plugs, filters) course offerings. I've taken both. I asked about even auditing the rest of the traditional program. They don't allow part timer's. You need to quit and take the program full time. Is there a decent distance learning program for motorcycle mechanics? My education has to date consisted of buying a 3rd bike, the factory manual, and trial and error. It has not been a very rewarding experience.

I have the money to pay for the education, I just can't afford the opportunity cost of quitting my full time job to learn full time.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X