keep blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep blowing fuses

Hi my wife has a 1980 gs550e starts and runs well but when the lights are on and the bike is at speed the lights dim until the throttle is shut, then they come back bright again just as the revs come down, then the main fuse blows loosing all power, am i right in thinking that its the rectifier or is it somthing else?

Seems like it may be the r/r. Do a check:

Comment

if you are dealing with power loses , than it is likely the r/r (maybe stator, im not too sure). Also check the connections from the r/r to the main harness. Ground the r/r to the negative post of the battery, and grease up the connections (especially the positive lead from the r/r ) and check that the gas level gauge on the tank is connected properly to the harness and is clipped in well (this blew fuses for me).

POOT

Comment

I'd be willing to bet stator trouble. Run the tests from The Stator Pages.

Comment

Just had nearly the exact problem; it turned out to be a coil that had finally gone bad. Luckily had a spare from another parts bike and end of the mystery.

Comment

Disconnect the red reg/rect wire from fuse block / battery ride the bike. If you have no problem Go direct to the stator pages

Comment

Working...
            X