• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tiny air hoses for front forks,is there an easy fix

the air hoses on my front forks are GONE.there are only 1in long pieces
    left in the caps.i don't see a way to remove them without pulling the
    caps.HELP!!

What model bike do you have? I'm not familiar with how your hoses attach, but if they are attached to the fork caps it's not a big deal to remove the caps. Put the bike on its centerstand and raise the front wheel off the ground by placing blocks or a jack under the motor. You want the front end fully extended so when you remove the caps the springs don't jump up at you. Wish I could be more help. Someone more familiar with your setup should be able to help.

Comment

tiny hoses

i've got the '78 GS 1000c.the hoses attach to the caps but they're
      tiny and there is no hex cap holding them in.i've no clue how
      they're secured.this worthless
      haynes manual i have doesn't help
      at all.

Comment

No hex cap holding the caps on the tubes? If they don't screw out they most likely have a circlip holding them in. Take a big arse screw driver or something and see if you can push the cap down against the spring pressure. Then look for the clip in the fork tube. I'll check Bikebandit and see if that is what you have.

Comment

Chevrod, The "78" GS 1000C came with a air valve on the top of each fork cap. There was nothing to balance the air pressure, each fork had to be aired up seperately. If yours has a tube conecting the two, it is probably an aftermarket item. Thus not shown in any manuel

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
            Chevrod, The "78" GS 1000C came with a air valve on the top of each fork cap. There was nothing to balance the air pressure, each fork had to be aired up seperately.
            Is it just me, or is that a goofy-assed set-up
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yes very goofy, Almost impossible to get the same pressure in both forks. My "79" GS 1000 S has an aftermarket set up, they work very well. Goofy? Yeah, that's why they changed them in 1980.

Comment

I may have a similar setup. The small hoses are pushed into the top of the cal, then it seals when you pull on the hose. To remove the hose, use a small screwdriver to push down on the top of the metal tube into which the hose goes..it should retract...hold it down and pull out the hose. A very simple system that self seals with air pressure. The hose should be readily availbe from shock places or parts stiores as it is used to link ait booster shocks in cars for towing.

Comment

push in coupling

thanx saaz,that's exactly how it works.i'll get them fixed,,,at last

Comment

Chevrod,
                    You might want to consider rigging your new lines with a Tee in them and only one fill valve. That way the pressure will be the same in both fork legs.

Comment

tee

i had that in mind,thanx

Comment

Yes, I ahve a T as well..as per the car air shocks

Comment

Working...
                        X