Help! Need Wiring Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need Wiring Guidance

Hello, my name is Matt. I recently purchased a 1980 GS750 basketcase and have been working to get it roadworthy. Well, today was the day to temp register it to see how it would act on the road. Everything was going good for the first 5-8 miles and then she sputtered and went dead, no more battery juice.:-( I got her home and start checking the stator to see if it quit. When I checked the wiring, something seemed amiss; two of the wires were haphazardly spliced together, and the third wire was not connected (this turned out to be the power wire).#-o ANyways, my question: On the rectifier, there are 3 wires: a white w/blue stripe wire, a yellow wire, and black w/white stripe wire (assuming this is ground). Does anyone know what these wires go to? As for the stator, I think it might be an aftermarket because it has three yellow wires (1 has power, the other 2 nothing). Any help would be appreciated.:-)

Three yellow wires from stator, yep, an aftermarket stator which is nothing to be worried about, not many will still have original and many replaced with other than Suzuki stators.

Send me a PM (left click on my screen name) and send me an email address for you. I can send you a color scan of a color schematic (for 80 850G). Will show the color of wires to regulator.

Possibly the one wire not connected is the one that goes up to connector in headlight shell and there it has a jumper where there used to be a contact on the headlight switch (can see this on schematic).

Welcome to GSR.
    Last edited by Redman; 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

"1 has power the other 2 have nothing" your stator is stuffed, replace and PM redman for the wiring diagram.

Dink

Comment

Well, I got the wiring straightened out finally.\\/ It turns out a wrong type rectifier was installed when it needed a combo regulator/rectifier. So, thanks to those who gave advice and pointed me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
        X