Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaking out of hose after ride.

Hi everybody,
    I have an '82 GS 1100GL. I went for a ride the other day, about 45 inutes each way, parked it when I got home and about an hour later noticed oil under it. The oil patch was about 1 foot in diameter. I looked and it was coming out of the hose on the left side of the bike. I don't know what this hose is except some type of drainage or overflow of some sort. I was wondering if anyone had idea's why this would happen?

Nathan

Sorry to ask such a silly question, but I'm sure its gonna come up soon...are you sure its oil thats leaking out, and not fuel? Seems more likely you have the same crap we all have dealt with, either a stuck float or clogged needle valve making fuel come out the carbs rubber overflow tube, or vented out your air filter box, rather than oil.

Comment

That is a very good question. I am not sure. I am not even sure what the hose is for. That might make sense since I have had trouble with it running right in the past. I went with hotter plugs a couple weeks ago and it runs great. The other plugs got fouled pretty quick and I read that a hotter plugs would burn off the excess fuel. I don't know how to adjust the float.

Comment

I'm no wrench, but there are great & knowledgable guys here who I'm sure will help. They've helped me through months of HELL, until I got my bike all better. Be patient, and the answers to your woes will be forthcoming from the gurus of carbs. Trust me, however, the hoses are NOT draining oil....fuel it is.

Comment

If you know which hose the fluid is coming from, follow it up and see what it is attached to. As rocketman said it's probably fuel from one of your carbs. But if it is coming from your airbox drain, you have a leaky petcock, and the gas is probably in your oil, too.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

What does the fluid feel or smell like?
            hotter plugs only mask the underlying problem of excessive fuel or oil burning, once the problem is corrected you can revert to the correct plugs.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
            X