GS 700E Carb Problembs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 700E Carb Problembs?

Hi, I recently bought a GS 700E (1985) at a swap meet a few weeks ago. I im having a small problem with the second cylinder not fully kicking in. I have come to this conclusion because i adjusted all of the idle mixture screws and they all darastically changed the idle preformance exept for the second carb (the one with the vaccume line attatched to it). also I took the second spark plug wire out from the second cylinder and connected it to a different spark plug and put it on the cylinder head and there was decent spark and the engine appeared to be running just like it normally does(3 cylinders)... so im assuming it is a problemb with the carb. occasionally at idle it kicks in (like 2-3 times per 10 second.) I have tried adjusting the idle mixture and that does not seem to do anything. I took apart the carbs and looked over the second one (making sure the main jet was not plugged.) After i rev it up it seems to kick in so it's just at idle. It has a 4-1 aftermarket exhaust with super trapp end and individual v&h air filters and was never correctly jetted (according to the guy i bought it from)
    anyway I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and or knows what exactly to do to fix it.
    P.S. the bike has 41k miles on it..
    thanks for looking and if i can answer any questions to help you diagnose the problem i would be happy to
    Nick
    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 08:26 AM.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Might be a plugged pilot jet. Main jet has no effect on idle.
      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

IMHO, if this bike was mine, I would pull the carbs get the o-rings and give them a cleaning. I would also check out what you have for main jests. I think these came with 117 and if you have pods and 4 in 1 exhaust you need to go up something like three steps. There are guys on this forum who can give you more insights than I on jetting, but you need to look at your main jets and see what you have.

I suspect the carb problem you have is due to a cleaning issue and the jet issue is something quite seperate.

Do not let this matter discourage you. This will be addressed quickly and efficiently.

BTW, run a compression test also so you have solid baseline info.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
          Hi, I recently bought a GS 700E (1985) at a swap meet a few weeks ago. I im having a small problem with the second cylinder not fully kicking in. I have come to this conclusion because i adjusted all of the idle mixture screws and they all darastically changed the idle preformance exept for the second carb (the one with the vaccume line attatched to it). also I took the second spark plug wire out from the second cylinder and connected it to a different spark plug and put it on the cylinder head and there was decent spark and the engine appeared to be running just like it normally does(3 cylinders)... so im assuming it is a problemb with the carb. occasionally at idle it kicks in (like 2-3 times per 10 second.) I have tried adjusting the idle mixture and that does not seem to do anything. I took apart the carbs and looked over the second one (making sure the main jet was not plugged.) After i rev it up it seems to kick in so it's just at idle. It has a 4-1 aftermarket exhaust with super trapp end and individual v&h air filters and was never correctly jetted (according to the guy i bought it from)
          anyway I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and or knows what exactly to do to fix it.
          P.S. the bike has 41k miles on it..
          thanks for looking and if i can answer any questions to help you diagnose the problem i would be happy to
          Nick

Check for a faulty petcock. It could be a leaking diaphram which will flood your #2 carb and foul the plug. To check...remove the vacuum line from the intake and if any fuel is present then rebuild or replace the petcock. Been there. Good luck.

Comment

took off the vaccum line and there was no gas leaking out from there, at least not enough for me to speculate anything. I raised the needles a few days ago too but i still think that it was always running like this. What blockage in the carb would cause slim to no gas to enter in at idle and then once you open it up (to about 2000-2500 rpm) allow gas through?
            Thanks for you help and like i said before if i can give any additional info to help diagnose the problem please let me know.
            Thanks
            Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Like I said...

Originally posted by denydog View Post
              Might be a plugged pilot jet. Main jet has no effect on idle.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=99727&page=2
              Gas goes through the pilot jet at idle, and just above. Check the link. There is a diagram out of my shop manual that descibes it. You don't have to just trust me.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM.

Comment

ok, i will check over the pilot jet, thats the on under the rubber cap right? i think so...

Comment

well, i think i got it figured out, I took off the air filter and got to the idle air inlet screw, i took my air compressor and put a shot through. I'm getting a better idle and i think im going to run some carb cleaner though the tank to clear everything out.

One more question,
                  The needles looked as though they had an extremely small taper to them do you guys suggest getting different needles? is that the thing to do? or does it run better this way?

P.S. i'm pretty sure it has 117 mains too.

thx

Comment

Working...
                  X