Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal woes

Hello,

I'm the recent owner of a pretty clean 79 gs10000L. The problem i am having is that the right turn signal works very speratically. I've gone through the switch, lights, blinker, and wiring and can't find the problem. is this a typical problem? Help.

79 gs10000L...
    Thats a rare one you got, congrats 8-)
    are both of the right side blinkers not working?
    Left side is normal ? for both blinkers?
    need more info about the "speractic" problems..

Comment

Originally posted by akmbs96 View Post
      Hello,

I'm the recent owner of a pretty clean 79 gs10000L. The problem i am having is that the right turn signal works very speratically. I've gone through the switch, lights, blinker, and wiring and can't find the problem. is this a typical problem? Help.
      For grins and giggles try replacing the flasher. Go on down to Discount Joe's Auto Parts and get at a two pronged thermal blinker for older cars, don't get the electronic flasher. That is exactly how it will be labeled "Thermal, Two Pronged". It will set you back tax, title and tags about $2.75 +/-. For some reason the Suzuki flasher is not water/dust proof. For 2.75 neither is your replacement, your L shaped wiring harness connector plugs right in.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chinsyjones View Post
        79 gs10000L...
        Thats a rare one you got, congrats 8-)
        are both of the right side blinkers not working?
        Left side is normal ? for both blinkers?
        need more info about the "speractic" problems..
        hello,

yes, both right side blinkers are not working.
        yes, left side is normal.
        i always try to use the right turn signal and i would say that 10% of the time it works, though lately not at all. when it works it opperates just as it should.
        you say that it is rare? did they not produce 1000L models as much.#-o

Comment

The GS 10,000 L ? typo Have to admit that I'de love to give a 10 liter bike a hole shot at the local track !!! :twisted:

Comment

I think your switch might be on the fritz.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
              I think your switch might be on the fritz.
              Sounds like a good place to start. Try shorting across the switch and see what happens.

Comment

Check both signal wires from the bulb plug to the wire plug. I recently had a signal get snapped off at the bolt where it connects to the bike. There was a bare spot (actually two) on the wire, where the signal would ground out. It would cause that side to be intermittent (left, for me). Once I replaced the signal and wiring the problem was gone.

Brad bt

Comment

If one side works well, and the other does not, you have likely identified the switch as the culprit.

Many have attempted switch repairs, but most have had problems.

That said, it CAN be done, but some precautions must be taken before taking on this challenge.

The first and most important thing to do....BEFORE you remove the switch from the bike is to get a large, clear, plastic bag that has but one opening. A second bag, clear or otherwise, will also help.

When removing the switch from the bike, first put a bag over the bar and switch, and work inside the bag. That way anything that drops/falls etc will be caught.

Now you need the clear bag.

DO NOT attempt to open the switch in any way until it is inside the bag.

Put the switch, some small pieces of fine sandpaper/emery cloth or a points file, a small pair of needle-nose pliers, and your screwdriver(s) in the bag, put the bag in a convenient place to work, and then reach inside with both hands, so that you can do ALL the work inside the bag.

If it is not yet evident, all this precaution is because the switch contains tiny parts that are actuated by tiny springs and tiny bearings.

There is a very high probability that you will lose one or all of them if you work without the bag.

Usually, you will find the contacts are dirty: they can be cleaned and re-used.

Add a bit of di-electric grease, or even Vaseline, and reassemble.

Before starting work, reach inside and find a chunk of patience. You will likely need it.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sorry! I missed the "wiring" part of your original post.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                      If one side works well, and the other does not, you have likely identified the switch as the culprit.

Many have attempted switch repairs, but most have had problems.

That said, it CAN be done, but some precautions must be taken before taking on this challenge.

The first and most important thing to do....BEFORE you remove the switch from the bike is to get a large, clear, plastic bag that has but one opening. A second bag, clear or otherwise, will also help.

When removing the switch from the bike, first put a bag over the bar and switch, and work inside the bag. That way anything that drops/falls etc will be caught.

Now you need the clear bag.

DO NOT attempt to open the switch in any way until it is inside the bag.

Put the switch, some small pieces of fine sandpaper/emery cloth or a points file, a small pair of needle-nose pliers, and your screwdriver(s) in the bag, put the bag in a convenient place to work, and then reach inside with both hands, so that you can do ALL the work inside the bag.

If it is not yet evident, all this precaution is because the switch contains tiny parts that are actuated by tiny springs and tiny bearings.

There is a very high probability that you will lose one or all of them if you work without the bag.

Usually, you will find the contacts are dirty: they can be cleaned and re-used.

Add a bit of di-electric grease, or even Vaseline, and reassemble.

Before starting work, reach inside and find a chunk of patience. You will likely need it.

This is without exaggeration! This is how you NEED to do it. I know! I've lost all kinds of stuff from NOT doing this.

Comment

Working...
                      X