Is it the Oil seal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the Oil seal??

On my '82 Gs1100G slow oil leak from the shaft boot where the shaft enters the engine, about where the ground end of the kickstand is when its up. Looking at the diagram in the link above, it appears the boot is covering #2, The housing DR bev., and when I look under the boot that seems to be where the leak is originating. Would the oil seal in the diagram be the problem? How much of a PITA will it be to replace for a non mechanical bonehead like myself?

Is it hypoid or engine oil? You mention the kickstand, an oil leak on the kickstand pivot could be nothing more than a leaking shift rod seal which is engine oil. A leak from the bevel gear is more work but with some patience and good tools can be done in a few hours. It will involve removing the drive shaft and swing arm though.

Comment

Hypoid or engine? I would assume hypoid due to where it's coming from (under the boot, not the shift rod)), however I can't tell looking at the oil that drips on the floor. The hypoid and gear oils are fresh though, and the oil that drips appears black and old, that's what's throwing me off.

Comment

Black/old is to be expected with an oil leak, the oil would leak into the boot first and in time out on ground. I removed and rebuilt an 850 enigne about four years ago and replaced all seals, o rings etc. Referring back to my Clymer, on pg 122 it talks of replacing the o rings for the secondary drive gears...however it assumes the engine is out of the frame. Unless you are prepared to do all that for an o ring, you just might want to keep an eye on the oil level.

Comment

Working...
        X