Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical problem.....is this the dreaded stator issue???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical problem.....is this the dreaded stator issue???

I recently purchased a 1979 GS750L in non-running condition. My plan from the beginning was to rebuild the bike completly, but before I started tearing it apart I figured it would be nice to see why the bike doesn't run and fix that problem first. SOOO the first things I did was...
    -Drain and clean the tank
    -Drain and fill carbs with cleaner to do a quick cleaning job
    -Change all spark plugs
    -Drain engine oil, replace oil filter, and refill engine with 4 quarts of recommned oil
    -Cleaned air filter
    -Brand new battery
    -Checked all 4 plugs for spark
    -Filled tank with half a gallon of 92 octane

I then sprayed a little starter fluid in the airbox, and the bike started right up! I drove the bike around for about 15-20 minutes or so and then it stuttered and died. I assumed this was because I put so little fuel in the tank, that it ran out of gas. Then a few days latter, I tried to start the bike again and it wouldn't start. I noticed a few things

-still some gas in the tank, enough that it should have run (i had in the the reserve position)
    -No spark at the two outside plugs (I figured a crimped wire somewhere, because the day before I replaced the stock handlebars with some drag bars, and therefore had to 'stuff' the excess wires somewhere. But I can't find any flaws in the harness, so I figure a bad coil)
    -battery completely dead! (I figured this was from trying and trying to start the bike before I realized I had no spark)

BUT, now after further research on this forum I am beginning to think this may be the dreaded stator/rectifier/regulator issue. Can anyone confirm this? Or has anyone experienced the same thing? If in fact this is the stator/rectifier issue, I have found and briefly read the 'stator papers'. I am simply looking for a confirmation that this is my problem or at least following the stator papers instructions is a good place to start. Thanks so much!! This forum has been very helpful to me thus far!!

If you can get it running, you can do a quick check of the charging system by measuring battery voltage. Should be 13 or more volts while running if your charging system is OK. If your charging is not working, you won't get more than the battery voltage of 12.6V or less.

The stator pages/troubleshooting is geared more towards identifying exactly what part of your charging system is broken.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Ignition

Originally posted by Albert257 View Post
      I recently purchased a 1979 GS750L in non-running condition. My plan from the beginning was to rebuild the bike completly, but before I started tearing it apart I figured it would be nice to see why the bike doesn't run and fix that problem first. SOOO the first things I did was...
      -Drain and clean the tank
      -Drain and fill carbs with cleaner to do a quick cleaning job
      -Change all spark plugs
      -Drain engine oil, replace oil filter, and refill engine with 4 quarts of recommned oil
      -Cleaned air filter
      -Brand new battery
      -Checked all 4 plugs for spark
      -Filled tank with half a gallon of 92 octane

I then sprayed a little starter fluid in the airbox, and the bike started right up! I drove the bike around for about 15-20 minutes or so and then it stuttered and died. I assumed this was because I put so little fuel in the tank, that it ran out of gas. Then a few days latter, I tried to start the bike again and it wouldn't start. I noticed a few things

-still some gas in the tank, enough that it should have run (i had in the the reserve position)
      -No spark at the two outside plugs (I figured a crimped wire somewhere, because the day before I replaced the stock handlebars with some drag bars, and therefore had to 'stuff' the excess wires somewhere. But I can't find any flaws in the harness, so I figure a bad coil)
      -battery completely dead! (I figured this was from trying and trying to start the bike before I realized I had no spark)

BUT, now after further research on this forum I am beginning to think this may be the dreaded stator/rectifier/regulator issue. Can anyone confirm this? Or has anyone experienced the same thing? If in fact this is the stator/rectifier issue, I have found and briefly read the 'stator papers'. I am simply looking for a confirmation that this is my problem or at least following the stator papers instructions is a good place to start. Thanks so much!! This forum has been very helpful to me thus far!!
      The stator + RR would not explain getting spark to the remaining two plugs. There are two coils. Look there. And beyond in the ignition side of the bike. Perhaps the wires off the ignitor connection are loose?

Comment

Yeah, I can't get it running since I have no spark at the outside plugs. And, I don't have an ignitor, I have contact points. I did check the wire connections, as far as I can tell, everything is in tact.

Comment

no spark

Hi i had the same problem of 2 plug not sparking on my old Z400/4/j turned out to be somthing as simple as the ignition switch was faulty, might not be on yours but worth alook

Comment

Working...
          X