Front mudguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front mudguard

Does anyone know whether a chrome front mudguard off a 79 GS550 would fit a 77 GS750?

I've currently got a plastic non-standard mudguard on my 750 so can't compare that and the chrome one side by side as they are completely different.

I'm hoping the 550 will fit as I can then get the front end looking standard again.

Your help and expertise is appreciated.

According to my parts cross-reference software the 79 550 fender is part #53110-45002 and it fits the following bikes:

GS425LN 1979 425 GS425L STREET
    GS550B 1977 549 GS550 STREET
    GS550C 1978 549 GS550 STREET
    GS550EC 1978 549 GS550E STREET
    GS750B 1977 748 GS750 STREET
    GS750C 1978 748 GS750 STREET
    GS750EC 1978 748 GS750E STREET

They both have a 1.85x19 wheel, and they both use the same outer fork tubes, so looks like you're good to go as long as you're sure the 750 has it's original stock forks...

Interesting after I posted this I noticed that the 79 550 isn't in the list, although Alpha Sports shows the same part number for the 79 and 78 550. Still think it works, but the software must have skipped one, or it could just be the complexities of superseded parts and numbers...
    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Front mudguard

Paul

Many thanks for looking up the info for me, much appreciated. Actually, that's a good point you make about stock forks as when I changed the fork seals some time ago, I had problems finding the right seals because it appears that the forks are GS1000 or possibly GS850 which seem to have been fitted to allow for twin discs. The fork seals that fitted eventually were GS1000 seals.

Not sure whether the mudguard fittings on the 850/1000 fork legs are the same as the 750. However, they look the same but I know measurements can be different.

The plot thickens! ](*,)

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Yep, you're best bet is to look at the Alpha Sports Web site. They not only show the real Suzuki part numbers, but when you click on a part number it will show the supersede part if there is one. Sometimes it is superseded several times.

Even the GS1000 fender will probably fit. I would worry mostly about the width and diameter of the wheel which will make the most difference. The spacing of the bolt holes seems to be pretty consistent between models.

Comment

Front mudguard

That's great, thanks very much Paul. I'll have a look at the Alpha Sports web site.

Comment

Originally posted by ptm View Post
            According to my parts cross-reference software ...
            Is that like your brain and a pencil , or do you really have such an app, and if so where'd you get it? Or did you write it yourself? 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
              Is that like your brain and a pencil , or do you really have such an app, and if so where'd you get it? Or did you write it yourself? 8-)
              Probably.....

Comment

Working...
              X