1000 motor into an 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 motor into an 850?

Big job to switch if I have a complete parts bike?

... the carbs magically synchronize

Maybe the title wasn't catchy enough?

"Roast baby - what's the best wine to serve?"
    "Naked bikes - men without chaps"
    "If I show you my gears will you clutch them?"

Does anyone have any ideas on this (the motor swap) issue?
    I'd rather not start it and find out I have 3 months serious fabrication ahead of me.

The answer I'm hoping for is "It bolts right in and the carbs magically synchronize!!!"

Comment

Looks like no one has any experience with this particular swap. I don't know much, but here's what I know...

The 850 used the 1000 frame, so that adds to the possibility it will work.

The 850 engine, however, is a 750 engine that's been bored out, so that's a strike against.

A number of folks have done '7-11' conversions with the 1100 engine in a 750 frame - that's backwards from what you're asking, but threads on that conversions might point out where there will be challenges.

Both should either be L models or both should be non-L models.

I assume the 1000 was a G (shaft drive) model. Mixing chain and shaft creates severe complications.

The closer to the same year the better.

My guess is it can be done, but it's hard to tell how hard it will be. If you have access to both machines, I'd do a lot of measurements to get a rough idea how much fabrication you'll have to do.

Not a lot of help probably, but it's all I got.....

Comment

I'm going to give it a try - from what little I've found on the topic, it shouldn't be too bad. The only thing I've found is that the motor mounts will need to be adapted/changed.

Comment

"1000" is not specific enough -- is it a shaftie engine?

If both donor and recipient are G models (shafties), then a 1000G or 1100G engine will bolt right in. You'll need the driveshaft from the donor bike. The chassis are otherwise identical.

As far as using the 850 carbs, I know the carb bodies are the same, but I'm not sure about the carb spacing -- it's quite likely to be the same, but I'm not going to swear to it. The main jets are the same, I think, but the needles are different and possibly the idle jets, too. Best to spend some time with the fiches.

I'm also not sure about whether the 850 exhaust fits the 1000G/1100G engines. Again, a microfiche part number comparison would be helpful.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Isn't the GS1000S also a shaftie?

Also - why did Suzuki make nearly identical bikes in 1980 - the GS1000L & the GS1100L?
            Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2006, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I bolted a 1980 GS1000G engine right into my 82 GS850L. The driveshafts ARE the same. Motor mounts ARE the same. The carbs are different- 1000 has 34mm, the 850 had 32mm, the carb bodies ARE NOT the same. My Vance and Hines exhaust bolted right up.
              The only external visual difference between my 1000 and my 850 engines is the longer and larger intake runners on the 1000. It had larger carb boots too.
              Simple swap!

Comment

Thanks!!

Many thanks to all for great info.
                They are both "L", shaft driven bikes. The 850 motor is shot and the 1000 was bought without a title in boxes and crates but it's all there including the carbs. (It actually made it home in the back of an '89 Honda civic wagon. Photos available on request!)

From what I'm hearing it's at worst worth a shot and at best a bolt in.
                Look for parts for sale once the swap is completed.

So tell me, what was it....
                The 'baby' one?

Comment

It's an easy swap. I am planning to do it some day I even have the GS1000G motor under my workbench. You should change the carbs 32 vs 34.. I just bought a set of GS1000 carbs for mine. The drive shaft, It depends on the year, the earlier GS850 79-80? used a smaller bolt pattern than the GS1000. the later one's were the same

Comment

Working...
                  X