It won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't start!

Ok so about a month ago my gs650 decided that it was going to start having problems starting and has gradually gotten worse and to the point that it won't start at all now. It seems like it is not getting gas...the spark plugs stay dry...a couple times it worked to put gas into the cylinders and then it would start and that worked a couple times but now nothing works, the starter turns but nothing fires. I have checked the petcock and everything seems to be working fine there. I have tapped on the carbs prior to trying to start it and that doesnt do anything. I put about 2500 miles on this summer with no problems and now suddenly it just doesnt start. any ideas? it seems like it's not getting gas. thanks!

See if there is gas in your float bowl by removing the bolt at the bottom. If there isn't it is either stuck floats or petcock is bad. You also have filters in your tank attached to your petcock and under the float valve(seat) Try cleaning these. If it isn't any of these it may be electrical. Have you checked for a good spark at the plug? Take out a spark plug and ground it to your head and crank it to check.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm still in the early stages of shooting the trouble out of my carbs/engine, but mine (79 GS1000) won't start with out starter fluid or gas into the carbs. Mine has no air filter, and no air box even, so I'm sort of hoping that is it's trouble. I've heard that they just don't run right without 'em.
      Nice mod by the way ("..blame you all") Can you tell me how you lowered it? Are they original rear shocks and springs which have been cut? I can't find the thread of your projects' beginings.
      Should be in the dictionary under 'Bob'.

Comment

When I removed the air filter and took off the lid on my GS1000, the bike ran way too lean - too much airflow.

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
        Mine has no air filter, and no air box even, so I'm sort of hoping that is it's trouble. I've heard that they just don't run right without 'em.

Comment

Working...
        X