Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattling/Clicking noise under acceleration???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling/Clicking noise under acceleration???

Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me. I have a GS1100GK & when under acceleration up hills theres kinda like a rattle from the engine. My old Mitsubishi Lancer used to do it too. Someone said that it was the oil pick up not getting enough oli (or somethin like that).
    If I back off it dissaperes but when under acceleration it sould like a rattle or clicking. If I click back a gear or two & bring the revs up a higher then its fine but lower down in the revs it makes that rattle noise. Its even worse when my wife is on the back & its under more pressure.

Also it seems to go through oil fast, but it doesnt leak & it doesnt blow smoke.???

Dan

What kind of gas are you running? My Camry used to do that under acceleration until I started running plus in it. I've always run plus (premium if I could afford it) in my bikes.

Shouldn't have anything to do with the oil consumption, though....

Comment

Normally use Unleaded (I think its like 91 Octane but not sure), I'd like to start using premium unleaded which is something like 98 but would like to see fuel prices come down a bit first.
      But if using Premium Unleaded will help this issue then I'll swap over starting next time I refill.
      Dan

Comment

The difference from unleaded(89) to premium(3) is usually $.20/gallon. Thats less than a dollar a fill-up difference.... Seems like a no brainer...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnetboy View Post
          it sould like a rattle or clicking. If I click back a gear or two & bring the revs up a higher then its fine but lower down in the revs it makes that rattle noise. Its even worse when my wife is on the back & its under more pressure.

Dan
          Sounds like engine knock due premature ignite of fuel (fuel octane too low or ignition timing too much advanced). Try to avoid that sound with higher rpms before you get it fixed, because it stressing the engine a lot (fuel mixture explodes before piston reaches top end position).

If the better fuel does not fix it you could adjust timing a bit more retarded.

Comment

If it just does it under load and low RPM, then you need to go up one grade of fuel. Around here Regular unleaded is 87 octane. These bikes like 91 octane a whole lot better. Otherwise. I also get some clicking noises out of my tach drive cable at lower RPM.

Comment

Hey, Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll definately have to change over to Premium. Its like $0.15 per litre more than standard unleaded but if it helps then thats what I'll have to do.
              Dan

Comment

You're in too high a gear for the rpm. You cannot accelerate, two up, up a steep hill at 20 mph in 5th gear. :-) The pre ignition rattle is a common sign of too much throttle and not enough rpm. Downshift and keep the rpm's up.

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  You're in too high a gear for the rpm. You cannot accelerate, two up, up a steep hill at 20 mph in 5th gear. :-) The pre ignition rattle is a common sign of too much throttle and not enough rpm. Downshift and keep the rpm's up.

Earl
                  Ditto Earl...right on target. Premium won't help a lugging engine.
                  Doug

Comment

The advice is good, one other thing is how long since new plugs went in?

Comment

Not sure about the plugs. Only had the bike about 2 months now & the guy I bought it off said he just had it serviced, But the oil was old, so I replaced it with new oil, I had to get the carby cleaned & sync'ed, & I cleaned out the air filter. After me doing these things I believed that either he didnt get it serviced or they didnt service it properly.
                      Anyway I have taken the plugs out & cleaned them good but I assume that new plugs would be even better.
                      What plugs would yous recomend? Stick with the standard ones or is there an inproved plug I could use?

Dan

Comment

I get that too, but only under heavy accel. I run the good fuel. Sounds like an exhaust leak at the head.

Comment

Use the standard NGK spark plugs - you can get 'em cheap at any Advance Auto or Pep Boys. Fancy spark plugs just cost more and don't work as well.

Also, check for an exhaust leak, as mentioned previously. These can make some pretty interesting ticking noises under load.

And stop lugging the engine. You gotta spin it.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X