Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition on shafties

Hi, all,

I’ve done a search but my parameters didn’t bring up what I need.

I’m looking to replace my 650G, but none of the new bikes are quite what I want so I’m looking at other GSs. I like having a shaftie, but thought I’d like something bigger than my 650.

I found a Clymers for the 850-1100. As I was looking though it, I found timing specs.

In my Clymers for the 650 it reads, “All models are equipped with breakerless electronic ignition system. No routine service or adjustment is necessary.” Which of course means that I never have had to set timing or adjust point gap or dwell.

Don’t any of the larger shafties have electronic ignition? Is it only the earlier ones that have points?

I suppose it’s not that big a deal to set timing and measure point gap; it just surprises me that only the smallest of the group would have the more modern ignition.

Thanks,
    Del

Del,
    My 82 1100G shaftie had electronic ignition on it.I do not know if it was stock or not, sorry.It may have been installed by the PO.

Comment

after '79 ignition was upgraded breakerless electronic ignition system. So 1980and later are electronic.. that applies eg. gs850g..

I have '79 gs850g and I bought aftermarket electronic ignition ( Boyer Bransden) to get rid off breaker points.

Comment

Originally posted by svahnm View Post
        after '79 ignition was upgraded breakerless electronic ignition system. So 1980and later are electronic.. that applies eg. gs850g..

I have '79 gs850g and I bought aftermarket electronic ignition ( Boyer Bransden) to get rid off breaker points.
        What SV said: it has to do with the year, not displacement or drivetrain. Suzuki and most other bike makers went to electronic ignition in 1980.

In electronic ignition bikes, there are some that retained a spring loaded mechanical advancer unit, usually 1980 and 1981. Later (usually 1982+) models went to a solid rotor with electronic advance.

Here's a page that shows the different ignitition rotors and advancer mechanisms:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, all. I appreciate the info.

Del

Comment

Working...
          X