Air-cooled engines standing still in the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air-cooled engines standing still in the cold

A question about an aspect of outdoor-stored, winter "maintenance"...

Due to the inability to afford proper winter storage for my bike (1980 GS 400), and my wish to have access to it on any day that's fit for riding, it spends its winters the same place it spends its summers - in the driveway. Until a year or two ago, I've been able to ride it at least once or twice a month, year-round (Cold isn't a problem - my record's 13 below centigrade. The deciding factor is whether there's any salt on the roads), but in the last few years, the typical Nova Scotia weather habit of following a snowfall with a few warm days and some rain isn't holding, and it's starting to look like it could be mid-June before our current accumulation of snow is gone.

So, not wanting to have the engine completely motionless for a month or more at a time, the obvious solution is to occasionally run it for a while in the driveway - but, running an air-cooled engine without MOVING an air-cooled engine isn't generally the best thing for it. So the question is, does anyone have an opinion as to how long I could safely run said air-cooled engine in, let's say, 0 to 10 below Centigrade temperatures? - and would that be long enough to do more good than harm (or would a short run only suceed in generating condensation inside my exhausts)?

Appreciating any input and waiting for spring...

You need to run it long enough to burn of condensation and other contaminants in the oil. I'd say at least 15 minutes or so. When the stator cover gets good and hot it should be enough.

Comment

My engine is an 110 0and it has a small amount of mods. Even in florida i never can get it really warm by just idling it. I am wondering if you may be doing more good than harm by just running it as you are. Again the business of enough heat to burn off the condensation.

Comment

Jim. Another consideration is geting your muffler(s) up to operating temps. The water vapor that is formed as a combustion by product won't burn off unless those cans are hot. An old article in Cycle World stated that it took 30 minutes of riding time in the winter to bring em up to temp. That water vapor rusts your mufflers. My Connie is outside too I've got the same problem although the Concours is liquid cooled...so far I've been able to ride it every 2 weeks or so.

Comment

I would just let the bike sit. At that temperature you'll end up with your exhaust filling up with ice as it will never get hot. My proof of this is that I have sprayed my 400 down with multipurpose oil, exhaust included, and the oil will not burn off of the pipes past the foot pegs.

It's good to hear somebody else is riding. My record is -23C @ 110km/h A few days ago I passed a guy on a moped...I bet his logic is that he can pedal his bike home if it won't start.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I have to admire your fortitude. I don't know centigrade, but when it gets below 45f, I'm parkin' it. Unless it's 100 degrees (F) in the shade, I don't think it hurts an air cooled motor to be running without moving. In the temps you describe, it's not like it's going to overheat. But overall, I would just throw a cover on it, pull the battery and wait till spring. A few months sitting shouldn't hurt anything Mine sits under an awning from Dec. untill mid march, never had a problem. If your worried about rusting exhausts, coat the suckers in oil,and spray some oil into them.

Comment

I tried starting my bike today, check out the new mods on it. (I do know it runs), but the cold got the better of it. I guess the line for starting is around -10f. Guess I have to wait for a good heat wave to keep going, You know maybe +10f. Damn winter.

Comment

If its inside, put an electric blanket around it. All the girls I've know liked to be kept warm. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
                I tried starting my bike today, check out the new mods on it. (I do know it runs), but the cold got the better of it. I guess the line for starting is around -10f. Guess I have to wait for a good heat wave to keep going, You know maybe +10f. Damn winter.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X