Battery Light Remains Lit Continuously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Light Remains Lit Continuously

I have an '82 GS1100E that has a battery light that stays on all the time. The bike starts and runs fine without any sign of the battery fading. The battery was low on water when I got the bike and I have since filled it up. I have ridden the bike for nearly a week without any indication that the batter was going down. What is the most likely culprit here?

That battery light is just a sensor that's supposed to measure the battery acid level, but it's non-functional on 99% of the bikes out there because it takes a special battery. If your battery is charging, you're probably fine, but chances are, if you haven't replaced your stator, you probably will have to eventually, they are a known problem on these old bikes! That's why you should go ahead and buy that stator I've listed in the parts sections!
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

If the battery has been replaced with another one that does not have any provision to accept the sensor, the light will remain lit all the time....look for a sensor probe that enters the battery through the top, and contacts the liquid in one of the central cells...if the level drops below the tip of the sensor, the dash light will illuminate.

Tony.
      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 10-12-2006, 09:55 PM.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

If the sensor is shot...connect the wire to the positive battery post and the light will go out.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          If the sensor is shot...connect the wire to the positive battery post and the light will go out.
          Does anyone have a diagram, or can tell me which wire "goes" to this battery sensor? What color is it? My battery light is always on also, and I would also like to "shut it off", in a way that won't cause any problems!
          Current stable:

Comment

The wire on mine is green/yellow.

Comment

i love that red light /\/\district

Comment

That Little Wire

I located the wire, it's on the left side of the battery as you're sitting on the bike. My wire was green with a light blue stripe. The sensor was a little red plastic insert, which fit perfectly into one of my battery's water holes and took the place of a plug. I inserted it, started the bike and the light still remained lit so I cut the sensor off and ran the wire to the hot side of the battery. Voila! No more idiot light. I discovered something along the way as well. Someone had installed a toggle switch in the headlight bucket that turned the headlight on and off. I guess they didn't want to go through bulbs or something. I'd rather have the headlight stay on for that very small chance that someone might see you better with it on during the day.

Comment

Ok, question answered. Now let me hijack this thread. The battery light is easy. What about the rest of them. My Stop and Tail lamp indicators are on most of the time. How do I get those to go out ?

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    Ok, question answered. Now let me hijack this thread. The battery light is easy. What about the rest of them. My Stop and Tail lamp indicators are on most of the time. How do I get those to go out ?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...adave/2003.jpg
                    Are they functioning correctly? My tail lamp light flickered a couple of times, and it was just because the bulb was loose. I replaced it with a new one while I had the lense off, and it hasn't gone off since. Probably a simple connection problem, check all your wires going into the harness, might have a loose one causing a bad connection.
                    Current stable:

Comment

Disconnect the Battery

'Nuff said

Comment

Working...
                      X