Stupid Simple question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Simple question...

I'm changing oil and filter right now, and I'm having a brain lockup on oil capacity. Can someone help please. 1980 GS 850G all stock with a filter change.......... How much do I pour in ????????????

I've got the new filter in and everything buttoned up... and poured in 2 qts. and thought wait... uh oh....crap. Can't find my Clymer's... Lets see the side of the case is stamped 2800 ml. Maybe I'll try and convert it.

Please can someone tell me this simple spec.......

Thank you............................................... ............

Somewhere Near Halfway on the Sight Glass on the Right Side of the Motor near the Filler Cap will do Fine. Right around 3 Quarts. Fill it halfway on the Glass, Start the Engine for a Few minutes and Shut off. Give the Oil 5 Minutes or So to settle and Fill to about 3/4 on the glass. BTW, Great Choice on the Bike!:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

With filter the manual says 3.8 quarts. But its easier and probably better to just use the sight glass as posted above.

Oh, by the way.......'79's are just a little better than the '80's *.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2006, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        With filter the manual says 3.8 quarts. But its easier and probably better to just use the sight glass as posted above.

Oh, by the way.......'79's are just a little better than the '80's *.

A not so Common Delusion! Just Kiddin, ALL 850s are Fine Bikes and Tough as Nails!:-D

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

TTTHHHAAANNNKKKSSSS

BTW.... 2800 ml equals 3qt. Cool

While I'm at it with the most elementary stuff here... How about a tire pressure suggestion, Please. Stock tire size here.

I know they're a little low. And I wanna go for a ride...... can you tell?

Probably high 30's or low 40's right?

Comment

Right around 40 lbs Sounds Right.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Average tire pressure is 36 to 40 psi. I'm light and ride mostly solo, so I set my tires to 36 psi. As a rule of thumb, If your tire pressure increases more than 3 psi between a cold tire reading and after a 15 minute ride to warm up the tires, your cold pressure is too low. If pressure increases less than 3 psi between cold tire and warmed up tire, your cold tire pressure is too high. If your tires gain 3 psi from cold to being warmed up, your tire pressure is correct for your weight and riding speeds.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Awesome you guys!!

As usual - great info... and I love the details. What a great education here.

Going for a ride, the stars are out, and it's not even that cold out. Not bad for mid Oct in the NW.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X