Problem With My Charging On My 78 Gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem With My Charging On My 78 Gs750

IV GOT NEW STATOR, NEW R/R AND NEW BATT. I PUT THE R/R AND STATOR ON WITH THE OLD BATT AND THE R/R WAS PUTTING 13.5ISH OUT ON IDLE, THEN WHEN I REVED IT IT DROPED RIGHT DOWN TO ABOUT 8 OR 9 VOLT. SO I PUT THE NEW BATT ON AND NOW THE R/R PUTS OUT ABOUT 12.5 ON IDLE AND ABOUT 12.10 ON 5000RPM. OR JUST OVER 12VOLT ON IDLE WITH LIGHTS ON AND SLIGHTLY MORE AT 5000RPM. ANY IDEAS WHY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PS THE BATT IS FULLY CHARGED. TA JAWS

sounds like your r/r is shot.. it shouldn't drop like that after revs...

if the stator was fried, you wouldn't have that good of voltage at any RPM
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

its a new reg/rec it shouldnt be fried.

Comment

Grounds and other wires have been a frequesnt source of challenge. On my 77 750 I had a similar expereince when a groungd at the battery box/airbox has not been tight

Comment

If the system is charging over 15.5V or below 14 V it is most likely the R/R, whether or not it is new. I bought a new aftermarket R/R once and it was no good from the get go and no refund or exchange either.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerjaws01 View Post
            IV GOT NEW STATOR, NEW R/R AND NEW BATT. I PUT THE R/R AND STATOR ON WITH THE OLD BATT AND THE R/R WAS PUTTING 13.5ISH OUT ON IDLE, THEN WHEN I REVED IT IT DROPED RIGHT DOWN TO ABOUT 8 OR 9 VOLT. SO I PUT THE NEW BATT ON AND NOW THE R/R PUTS OUT ABOUT 12.5 ON IDLE AND ABOUT 12.10 ON 5000RPM. OR JUST OVER 12VOLT ON IDLE WITH LIGHTS ON AND SLIGHTLY MORE AT 5000RPM. ANY IDEAS WHY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PS THE BATT IS FULLY CHARGED. TA JAWS
            you need to get rid of the r/r plug in and solder the wires directly inline and hook up the ground and hot wire straight to the battery to eliminate the ground wire under your battery so you get a better ground.How is your battery? If you are low on water than it is for sure your r/r It will boil water out of your battery when its screwing up.

Comment

It sucks but you need to go back to square one. And check the stator OHM & running test. You could have pinched a stator wire when you put it together. I did that myself one time, working at night.

Comment

the batt is brand new, the stator coils have been re wound. iv now checked all my wiring for any frays or brakes or bad connections, had 1 or 2 loose conections in the loom that r now sorted and the earths r all good. so just waiting for batt to charge fully then gonna try again. iv got the earth from r/r going straight to batt as the r/r is right above the batt.i will also get rid of the bullet connector on the live and solder it see if it makes a difference. will let u know how it goes. thanks JAWS

Comment

Hi,
                  If your R/R is of the stock shunting type, it is important to remember that they work by turning off and on your AC output to ground at the correct voltage for the battery, 14 +/- volts. As the AC positive voltage reaches 14 the Regulator part of your R/R is triggered and the rest of the positive part of the AC is "shunted" (shorted) to ground, there by regulating the positive voltage that can reach the system and the battery.
                  As the AC voltage drop's to zero the "trigger" is shut off and the regulator wait's for the whole thing to start again. A bad ground in this area usually result's in overcharging of the battery, as in the AC has nowhere to be shunted too.
                  Solid state (SCR) type R/R's can have the bad habit of turning on, BUT, not turning off. The electronic reason for this is too long a topic for this post, but it does happen.
                  If everything else is ok, get another R/R.
                  Keith

Comment

this is the second new r/r in the last month. a freind of mine said it could be the magnets in the genny. the might have lost there megnetism, so im gonna check them, if not i give upo because iv tried everything, checked everything, and replaced it all with new parts. its getting beyond the joke. i will let u know how it goes, cheers JAWS

Comment

Working...
                    X