inboard exhaust half moon things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inboard exhaust half moon things...

I don't know what they are called... fische calls them exhaust pipe plates, anyway, how do those go on? Flanged side toward the forks or toward the engine? Do they fit in the groove about two inches from the engine, or the end of the pipe inside the exhaust port? I can't get them in no matter how I try.

I believe they go flange towards the front forks. That's what my shop manual shows. This should allow the connector (coller) to apply pressure to them, and then the plates apply pressure to the header pipe lip to make everything nice and tight.

This assumes I know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post
      I believe they go flange towards the front forks. That's what my shop manual shows. This should allow the connector (coller) to apply pressure to them, and then the plates apply pressure to the header pipe lip to make everything nice and tight.

This assumes I know what I'm talking about.
      you do, thats how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by devillox View Post
        I don't know what they are called... fische calls them exhaust pipe plates, anyway, how do those go on? Flanged side toward the forks or toward the engine? Do they fit in the groove about two inches from the engine, or the end of the pipe inside the exhaust port? I can't get them in no matter how I try.
        The flange side is out (toward the forks). Yeah, they're a b*tch to get in. But not as hard as working on a set of carbs. If you can R&R carbs, you can do anything. Just takes a little effort, a bit of contortionist ability, and a whole lot of cussin'. Good luck, Bro!

Comment

Thanks so much... I actually forgot I had the shop manual too. Giving it another go tomorrow... hopefully it will be successful.

Comment

Plus... this will teach me to pay closer attention to how things are prior to disassembly.

Comment

I had to fight with them just the other day when I took off the exhaust to change the pan gasket. I also didn't pay enough attention & when I removed the exhaust they all fell out. After consulting the microfish on bikebandit (they are easier to read most of the time than my Suzuki manual) I saw that they belonged with the center two pipes. I fought for a good while with them until I finally removed the two outer pipes(#1 & 4) from the inner two(#2 & 3). There is a clamp just behind the centerstand for each of them & put the inner two in first & then slipped the outer two on. It went a lot easier when I did it that way. It also made it easier to put the crossover together just behind the engine.

Comment

Can anyone provide me with a picture or their inboard exhaust pipes, with these things on? I'm doing something wrong...

Comment

Use a piece of scotch tape around the pieces to hold them together then push the flange on and tighten it. Next time you run the bike the tape will burn off.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by devillox View Post
                    Can anyone provide me with a picture or their inboard exhaust pipes, with these things on? I'm doing something wrong...
                    Are you working on the 1100? Or the 1000? I found that the on my bikes they were opposite. On the 1100 the half moons were on #2 & 3 pipes, and on the 1000 they were on #1 & 4.

Louis is right, though. Regardless of which cylinders, it's easier if you loosen the heat clamp that couples 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 together. On both my bikes I had a challenge hanging my pipes.

Install the pipe that has the muffler on it, but don't tighten it down (including the rear hanger). Then install the other pipe into the heat clamp & the cylinder head, but just barely. Then put the half moons in, and push the pipe into the cylinder head & the heat clamp at the same time. Once it's in, it's in. Then you can tighten & torque all the clamps & bolts.

The swear words I used repeatedly can't be published here. Use your favorites. They will surely help!

Comment

It's an 1100, but with a V&H 4-1 pipe. All headers are connected...

Comment

Whew! I don't have experience with aftermarket pipes. Do all four cyclinders have the half moons? Do the pipes have a coupling before the muffler?

I like the idea of using scotch tape to hold the half moons in place. Someday I will experience this myself. How about posting the tips that worked best for you (minus the swear words).

Comment

Three weeks! Three weeks, several nice days, and getting nowhere... I called three motorcycle shops explained the situation and they all said the exact opposite. The flanges on the exhaust plates go in toward the engine not the forks. It took 10 minutes. Eventhough it was 40 degrees here, I went for a joyride through the neighborhood. That V&H never sounded better.

Comment

None of the many V&H pipes I've seen use these flanges, I've never used them on anything except the stock pipes. Sandy is spot on, use tape to hold the flanges in place till everything is in place & secure. Tape will be burned off in just a few minutes of riding
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Oh yea, on the stock pipes, the flanges on the half moon things go toward the front, not toward the eng.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X