No announcement yet.

why is my 1150 shift so hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the cable is not installed with the minimum amount of bends it will also interfere with clutch operation

Comment

some things i will try.....

the clutch cable seems to move... the housing does move (i mean the clutch cable housing.. i can see it wiggle) but i will try to lube that and check to see how much travel i am getting..

also.. someone suggested i put it on center stand... hold down hard on back brake.. put it first.. rev it up some and let go of the clutch.. .. should break sticking plates free if this is a problem.. which i think is what is going on

will let u know in a few days

Comment

Timbaux, please don't try what that "someone" suggested because you could seriously damage your motor: they don't understand how the clutch works. If there is any clutch disengagement at all, then the 2 sets of plates are not sticking. If they were sticking, you would have direct connection between the motor and rear tire in every gear except neutral. You don't have sticking, you have dragging, and the procedure described will take the force of combustion and give it nowhere to go except to try and break internal motor parts. If clutch plates are stuck, the procedure is to put the bike in neutral (motor off), pull in the clutch (and keep it in), have someone push and then pop it into gear. If it doesn't let go in a few attempts then a clutch teardown is needed.

Comment

Listen to Don please.

Comment

right on time..
            i tried to get to the bike this afternoon but it was surrounded by others.. so i guess might try one more time tomorrow and see what i can do... maybe check to see the travel.. etc... make sure my cable is ok.

thanks yall

tim

Comment

It can be difficult to tell exactly how free the cable is just by squeezing the clutch lever. I would disconnect the cable at both ends, grip the small lead piece on the end of the cable itself and push it back and forth in the housing with my fingers. It should take almost no pressure to slide the cable back and forth. (I usually squirt a bit of chain lube into the cable housing)

Earl

Originally posted by timbaux
              right on time..
              i tried to get to the bike this afternoon but it was surrounded by others.. so i guess might try one more time tomorrow and see what i can do... maybe check to see the travel.. etc... make sure my cable is ok.

thanks yall

tim
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It's normal to have to rock the bike back and forth to engage the gears (as others have pointed out). Gear teeth and drive dogs have to be oriented properly to engage.

1150's are pretty picky about the primary gear shim spacing (.003-.008"). If it's too tight the clutch basket won't turn freely and that may cause shifting problems

Check to make sure the shift lever and linkage moves freely. The transmission should shift fairly easily with OR without the clutch when the engine isn't running.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X