Swingarm bearing installation - quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm bearing installation - quick question

If I never see another bearing, it will be too soon...

I was installing my swingarm bearings after powderoat. One side went in fairly easily, with just a few swings or a hammer. The other side was extremely stubborn and went in very begrudgingly. This is after i used my dremmel to grind away any powdercoat that got in. The side that was hard was hard from the very start, don't know why.

On the side that went in difficult the bearings no longer roll. I thought maybe if I put the spacer in it would break it free, but after tapping that in it still won't turn. Does anyone know what I did wrong here? I suspect I'm going to have to go through the whole PITA of knocking it out and paying for ANOTHER bearing, but what gives? Why wouldn't it spin after being put in?

I have a special tool that I use that will work on 1980-1983 GS1100E and the 1980 GS1100L. Do you want me to send it? Something happened if the bearing will not turn.

Hap

Comment

You could also still have a burr, or some type of imperfection in the bearing bore.

When I install any type of bearing, I toss the bearing(s) in the freezer overnight right up until I am ready to install them. If possible I also heat up the bearing bore with some propane. Makes bearing installation FAR easier.

Comment

Thanks guys. What do you mean by an imperfection in the bearing bore? They were brand new bearings, so they should have been fine. If by bearing bore you're speaking about the inside of the swingarm, then that's a possibility. But how would that affect the bearing when it has an outer race?

Just trying to get this figured out. I've already knocked the new broken bearing back out (except for its outer race, rats) and I'll be installing another one. I just don;t want to go through this process again.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X