Resistance Readings w/ New Coils and Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance Readings w/ New Coils and Wires

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of six problems/questions in one thread, so I thought I'd separate one at least.

Got my 2000 Suzuki GSX 600 F coils and some accel wires, 7mm, hi-temp, super stock, copper core, and I hooked 'em up to the coils. With the universal boots on those wires, I'm getting a secondary resistance reading of 15.3L with the multimeter set to 200K ohms.

I want to make sure that the above is a good reading before cutting off the caps from the wires and putting the new NGK caps I've got, so I can still return the set if needed.

Thanks,
    Mike

These are automotive wires from a V8 kit, btw.

Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

Well it's a bit low but if that's without the NGK resistor boots it's probably OK. Stick those boots on and test -- that'll be the real reading.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
        Well it's a bit low but if that's without the NGK resistor boots it's probably OK. Stick those boots on and test -- that'll be the real reading.
        Well, that's the thing. In order to stick on the NGK's, I'll have to cut the old boots off, and then if they aren't high enough, I can't return them!

Comment

25.5 now with the NGK's on there. Please, please, please tell me that's good news.

Comment

Any advice on securing these wires to the coils? I've got black rubber insulator sealant. Should I spread some on the wires before inserting them to the coil, or slap it on after the wires have been attached?

Comment

25.5k sounds fine. You might put a little dialectric grease on the contacts before securing the wires in there if you want. Aren't there clips that hold the wires in? If not, whatever not-terribly-permanent method of affixing them will be fine...

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                25.5k sounds fine. You might put a little dialectric grease on the contacts before securing the wires in there if you want. Aren't there clips that hold the wires in? If not, whatever not-terribly-permanent method of affixing them will be fine...
                Those clips broke with the slightest amount of pressure. Terrible.

Thanks,
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                  Those clips broke with the slightest amount of pressure. Terrible.

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  I had the same problem with the wires I recieved for my Dyna S. Ain't gonna tell anyone how I fixed it. But those clips aren't the best.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    Ain't gonna tell anyone how I fixed it.
                    Big ugly wads of electrical tape, eh? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Comment

On the Madura Forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/TAZZZ...Reading+%3E%3E

Try this, for a step by step on affixing the wires. If there is a problem accessing the forum try going to the forum home page and then lok under "Repairs everyone should know" Post.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

Working...
                      X