Tore out the splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tore out the splines

Tore out the splines on the rear wheel on my 850L. I made it 26000 miles with the 850 engine- no spline problems. Less than 300 miles with my new 1000 engine and blew the splines. I was getting on it, but have not popped the clutch yet with the 1000. The splines have been regularly cleaned and greased. They were in good shape, just checked them recently.

Is it common for the 1000+ engines to blow the splines out? I hope this was a fluke.

Ok, pulled the splines out of the rear wheel. They were sheared off clean, all but the first 1/16" of splines. The drive splines were engaged into the wheel too far (splines misaligned). I dont see clear way to adjust the alignment of these splines.
    Is there any way to align these splines a little better or are you at the mercy of manufacturing discrepancies?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    ECR

Comment

Also where is the best place to get a new "spline insert" for the rear wheel?
      Saw a price of $122 on the alpha sport dealership website, Ill check my local dealer tommorrow. Is there any aftermarket upgrades available for this part?

Comment

It's a dealer only part. Make sure you have the correct wheel spacers

Comment

The spacing was all original.
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I believe that the rear hub has to be shimmed very carefully and it is advisable for it too be done by the dealer according to my Clymer manual.
            Good luck.
            Cheers,
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X