Needle jet size for GS1000ST (1980)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle jet size for GS1000ST (1980)

Me again. Can someone with a 1980 GS1000ST tell me what size needle jets their bike runs? I have tried looking on Alpha Sports, etc. at their fiches, etc. but they show CV carbs for the 1980 model, and not the VM carbs we got here in Australia.

To add to the confusion, the VM carbs we got here were different to our 1979 (SN) model. There are differences in the way the jets are placed in the carbs, etc., but also the ST here apparently ran richer jets (97.5 mains up from 95, and 20 pilot up from 15).

The needle jets for the SN model are listed in my Haynes manual as AO-2. Can someone tell me what they should be for the ST?

I think I may have found a set, but I need to be fairly sure that they're the right ones before I take the plunge.

Cheers,
    Mike.

can you tell us what are the numbers on the carbs?

Comment

Hmm, where do I look?

I had a good squiz around the carbs with a torch, and the only numbers I can find are stamped on the outlet kind of like this:

PO 491
      Y 20

Are these the magic numbers?

I know I should have measured the carbs when I had them off to see if they're VM26 or VM28 ... but kind of just hoping that someone might know...

Comment

OK, in the end I managed to pull a needle jet out of the carbies without having to remove them as a set (a job I hate).

The needle jets are, as I suspected, very different to what the Australian 1979 GS1000S was equipped with. They came with O-2 needle jets; mine has O-7 jets.

Now the usual fun begins trying to find out if they are still available... :?

Comment

Working...
        X