Gas Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Everywhere

Hey everybody, got a problem with my '82 GS750. I think I know how to remedy it but wanted someone else's input too. A few weeks ago after I had taken a 40 mile ride I got home and put my GS up on the center stand like always and put her to bed. The thing I fogot to do was to shut the petcock off like I normally do. When I went out to ride her about 10 days later she fired up just like always, but about 30 seconds later gas started shooting into the air filter box from the carbs. I'm thinking that I had a float sticking and that sitting that long I had gas filling up the cylinder. I pulled the plugs and they were all ok except # 2 which was really wet. I cleaned the plugs, disconnected the fuel line and tried to start her again. Again she started fine but about 30 seconds later, more gas into the air box from the carbs. Am I on the right track with tearing down and rebuilding the carbs? And what about any gas in the cylinder theory? Thanks in advance for any help 'yall can give me. [-o<
    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM.

I wouldn't think you need a complete rebuild Just a cleaning & replacement of the needle seat O rings

http://www.cycleorings.com
    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2006, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I'd take a good look at the petcock and make sure that it's not part of the problem...you did mention that the #2 cylinder was flooded or very wet when you pulled the plugs. Sounds suspect to me. :?

Comment

Stuck float valve #2. Tap lightly on the float chamber of that carb, it'll free it, gas will stop leaking, then you can ride.......:-D Worked for me, done this on autos, tractors, lawnmowers, outboard engines where the float valve stuck. Remedies the problem, sometimes you don't have to pull it all apart, because it just keeps working, other times, if the valve doesn't seat, it means there's something there keeping it open and you've got to pull it apart anyway............

Comment

Change the oil, it is probably full of gas.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, especially about changing the oil, hadn't considered doing that. Thanks again! :-D

Comment

I'd be awfully quick to check the petcock since the vacumn operation of that fuel valve is tied directly to the #2 cylinder vacumn port. I as well would at least check the oil level. If it's way high, it's got lots of fuel in it. Drain and reservice with good oil.

Comment

Working...
              X