Sudden power loss problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden power loss problem?

The bike is a 1981 gs 400. It was running fine, then it started to have to be reved really high to get any power. I cleaned the carbs a month ago and they are fine. The bike has fresh oil. Could this be related to a clutch adjustment? Does anyone think the clutch needs adjustmnet? Can't figure it out. Cheers, S.

When cleaning the carbs you likely changed the settings.

Time for a full adjustment.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The bike has run fine for 1000 miles since the carb cleaning, It seems doubtful don't you think?

Comment

check to see if you have a fouled plug?

Comment

If the engine revvs high quickly but the bike speed doesn't increase steadily but instead "catches up" gradually, then it's your clutch.

Does the motor sound/feel smooth?

Comment

Power problems continued..

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I have. A very wet (gas soaked plug). I am actually getting gas coming out of the right (sitting on the bike) pipe. There is spark from both plugs. I took the carb out and cleaned it. I swapped the right ignition coil with a spare to see if that was it. Still the same. The bike runs no different when I pull the right hand side plug wire off. When I pull th left the bike dies. What could this be? It is killing me[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< Help please

Comment

Sounds like a RT side problem. Its only running on the left side. If ya got spark on both sides you must be flooding the right side. Bad Float height or a stuck open fuel needle valve.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Possibly a bad petcock, too.

Check to see if there's any gas in the vacuum line. Every GS needs a new petcock at some point.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X