new to the board need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the board need help

Hello all, recently I bought a suzuki gsx 750es on a 1987 model. First of all I am a total novice with bikes and I think I got shafted big time with this one. Within the first week I noticed the voltage regulator wasn't working, which you can't get a pattern part for. The rocker cover studs was threaded and now I have changed the oil, I have noticed the sump plug had threads on it to. Seemed like the guy who sold me the bike had a thing about over tightening. My problem is when starting the bike in a morning it runs nicely until you hit 30mph and it misses on one pot. So I have changed the plugs, leads and coils, this has made no difference. So I took it to the bike shop and they set the carbs up but this made the bike backfire, missing and generaly running like a bag of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$. Only when it had been running about an hour did it settle down, took it back to the shop and they have set it up again. All in all took the bike back four times and in the end asked them to put it back the way it was. Atleast it was ridable this way. The mechanics did a compression test and told me that all four pots was at 125 and they should be 150. Does this mean I need a new engine? I am absolutely gutted as it is a nice bike but I think I've got a bad one. I got a suzuki because people convinced me they where bullet proof and I needed something reliable for my new job. Spent all my extra cash on the bike plus extra for this new job and now I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The problem is if I sell it, some poor sole will be in the same boat as me skint and gutted.

I think it really depends on what you paid for the bike and how much you would sell it for. If the mechanical thing isn't your bag, there are many folks on this site that love to tear down and re-build these older bikes just for enjoyment. If the price is reasonable and you're not into repairing it yourself, then try posting it in the bikes for sale section. I don't think the Suzuki is exactly bullet proof but I do feel that they were way ahead of their time back in the early 80's. Good Luck!!!

Kevin

Comment

thanks mate

I am the type of bloke that loves repairing but had no experience with bikes. I was an apprentice mechanic years ago on morris minors things are alot different now in them days compression, spark, fuel mean't a runner, not nowadays. The thing is I need to use it everyday so it makes it difficult. I paid ?800 for it in November,2002 and when I got it home I realised the regulator had gone. I rang the bloke who sold me the bike and he sent me ?40 and basically told me to *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ off. It's a shame he lives so far away otherwise I would of cramed the whole machine up his arse and that's not like me at all, I was so disappointed. Thanks Paul

Comment

Don't give up yet. There are enough people on this forum that know the bike well enough to get you through almost anything.

No, I am not familiar with the set-up of your bike, but some general info does apply.

125 psi for all four cylinders for compression seems odd, but not necessarily bad. It is a very good sign that all the numbers match, instead of varying, and even though they told you correctly that the number should be higher, the fact that all numbers match at 125 suggests they left the throttle closed while doing the check. If you can do the check yourself, and hold the throttle open, you may find your compression is perfectly OK.

Regulator/rectifiers are available on e-Bay often, and they are available new from Electrex, whose name you will find on this site. They have superior products to the original Suzuki items, and will ship anywhere, plus give a two year warranty.

If you have a complete loss of one pot at about 30 mph then it has nothing to do with electrics. You did not say what happens after 30mph, but if we presume the carb continues to fail, then you likely have a fuel blockage, or the needle is not raising as it should...which may mean dirt or a faulty diaphragm.

You cannot set it up to correct that type of fault. The carbs have to come off and be cleaned, then properly set up. Cost for repairs will be fairly low: perhaps only the price of a solvent for cleaning, but you may need a diaphragm or a float and needle replacement.

If you don't have one, then you must install an in-line fuel filter. Again, very cheap.

Time to learn a few basic mechanical skills if you want to go farther.

If the cylinder that misfires continues, you may be able to tell which one it is by the heat of the exhaust pipe. Solving your problem may be as easy as replacing a diaphragm in the offending carb, but to do anything, you will probably have to remove the carb bank.

If you have them off...clean them...they always need that.

On this site (In the Garage) is a very good description of how to clean your carburetors.

Print it, read it ALL before leaving your computer. After you have digested it, take it to the bike and work with it.

Use a carburetor cleaner (you can get it from almost any automotive store) Don't just grab whatever is handy, as some solvents will not be kind to your o-rings....or maybe not you either.

Re your electrical charging....don't take anything for granted.

Before leaving your computer, print out the section called the Stator Papers. Get yourself a digital VOM (volt-ohmmeter) and follow the steps IN ORDER....there are no short-cuts.

Post any other questions you need answsers to.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If your regulator is shot don't panic, Electrex are available in England. You can call Miranda or Ewa on 01491 682369 or fax Lesley Houghton on 01491 682286, and you might be suprised at just how cheap a replacement R/R is.

Comment

yes the reg-rec was f***ed it was banging 17 volts into the battery generally boiling it. Asked a guy in another shop and he gave me a reg rec for a suzuki vx or one of the latest suzuki's anyway. I just chopped the plugs off and wired it in, piece of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ and now it is charging at 13.5 to 14 volts depending on the load. So I know that is all ok Thanks for all your help lads.Paul

Comment

Working...
            X