Can't get carbs back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get carbs back on

Hello to everyone. I can't get the carbs back on my 79 GS1000L. I've taken off the air box. I've tried connecting the airbox to the carbs and putting them back in together and I've tried one at a time. It seems extremely tight. Is there a procedure you know that may help me out. I don't have a manual. The carbs on my GS400 are really easy to take on and off, but there's no way I see to remove the boots on the engine side of the carb and put them on after the carbs are installed. Please help. My dog is hiding from me and my wife hasn't even heard some the foul words I've been saying. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Heating the boots, both sides of the carb bank, can help. Also try and straddle the bike as you push the carbs into place. I'm thinking that you'll probably want the air box in place first. It takes patience and sweat, and possibly a bit of blood .

Brad bt

Comment

Find the farthest back position you can find for the airbox. If you have hard boots try the heat method or get new ones. Put the rack of carbs into the intake boots and angle them down under the airbox boots. While sitting on your bike angle them up and you'll have to force them over the airbox boots untill they seat and pop into your intake boots.
      If your boots are old, brittle and hard just get new ones. It's not worth the hassle, just ask your wife and dog.
      P.S I hated this ritual so much I went with K&N pods. Warning, no quick fix because you'll have to rejet for the extra air flow. But man, my bike runs great with minimal carb removal time. Sing it with Keith and I
      I love my K&Ns I love my K&Ns.........
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

easiest way i found was to put the carb and the air box in the frame, with the carb to engine boots removed. Get it in position and put the boots in starting from the insides to the outside. It takes me 2 minutes literally to put the carbs back in now.

Comment

Make sure to grease those boots up good with silicone lubricant. Then work the rack into the intake boots first to get it into position (attach throttle and choke cables and such first). Then get the rack lined up with the airbox boots and pull it out of the intake boots so you can jockey it around. Put the top lip of the carb throats into the airbox boots first (at an angle), then haul the rack up and in to slide the bottom in. If one of the boots folds, you can try it again or use a couple of hooks made out of coathanger to pull out the portion of the boot that's folded.

Comment

pods, but it will still mean a PITA

Apparently removing the top part of the carbs with the throttle linkage makes it easier to get in. I don't know if it'll work on this one, as like I mentioned before pods. I know there's folks out there who have stock on this bike, but this year+model I believe is one of the worst, so there's lots of pods
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Do not assemble the carbs to the air box, then try to install the whole thing at one time, definitely a tight fit. I used a little WD-40 on a rag and lightly wiped down the rubber boots. Straddle the bike (facing backwards)and insert the carbs first on an angle and just wiggle and push a little until they go on. Make sure none of the boots get caught or crimped on the way in, or you'll have intake leaks when you tighten down the band clamps later. After carbs bands are tightened, reinstall linkages, fuel lines etc., then WD-40 airbox outlet ports as well, and slide it in from the right side of the frame, and you should have just enough room to wiggle it on same way.

Comment

After I read Bradley's reply, I laughed out loud. That changed my attitude and I went back and got 'em installed in about five minutes. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X