GS 550ES not idling after a stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550ES not idling after a stop

Hi I have an 83 GS550ES with a stage one Jet kit, open air box, K&N stock replacement air filter, and a 4 into 1 exhaust.
    The bike runs very well (thank you guys for the help before), but after I cruise down the road it will stall every time I pull in the clutch.
    The only way I can keep it running is to rev it a few times when I stop and it will idle then.
    Please help
    Thanks

How's it idle normally?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It will idle at about 1200rpm moves up and down a little, but if I turn the idle screw over a certain point it goes wild and jumps to 3k.

Comment

If no vacuum leaks my guess would be a plugged pilot circuit or a stuck slide.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

in experience with my 83 550E this means you are either way rich are too lean... In having the open air box and the 4-1 I'm thinking you might be lean... do a plug read.

where are your fuel/air screws at? on a stage three kit they are only turned out one full turn. did you stick with the stock pilots? (on a stage 3 kit you stay stock on the pilots)... What mains are you running? On mine with the stage 3 I am running the dynojet 114s (you also get 118s)...

though I've had issues on running way rich...

I say before anything do a plug read.. if you are rich let me know and I'll tell you where I have mine set at... and we can check Nerobro's also (he's got an 83 550ES where mine is "just" an "E")

Comment

I just want to confirm turning out the idle screws richens the mix correct

Comment

yes, yes it does....

Be careful when you screw them in... from experiance I was screwing mine down to start over and landed it hard... had to scrap that set...

Comment

Working...
              X