Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help

I have a 1983 GS 850 L When I am sitting still and reeve it up 4 to 5000 rpm it runs fine. But when i get out on the road running about 45 to 50 mph it cuts back, and starts popping like it is loosing power then i can give it full throttle it runs fine. I rebuilt the carburetors and it is still doing it.

Sounds like a classic petcock problem or poor fuel flow. Do you have an inline filter or possibly a kinked fuel line when putting the tank back on?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is everything stock including air filter and air box? It's either too much air or too little fuel. When you say that it runs fine once you open it up, 2/3 to full throttle, it sounds like you have enough fuel supply to the carbs.

Check all clamps, fittings between carbs and heads and air box or pods. Give it the wd-40 trick to ensure it is not drawing in air at any of these points (idle will drop if there is an air leak). If all checks out ok there, your next step might be to raise the jet needles one notch to richen the mid range mixture. I had to do that with my bone stock 650 to get rid of the ever so slight flat spot from 3600-4000, but only after everything that was leaking air was fixed, carbs were rebuilt and all other areas had been successfully ruled out.

Just a few thoughts.

Comment

Yeah, if it's good at high throttle settings then it's almost certainly a slight air leak. I've also raised my needles about a half a millimeter (on both my bikes) to eliminate a very slight mid-range hesitation.

Comment

Working...
        X