Fork swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork swap

Someone here will know, are 850 and 1000 forks interchangeable? What about the "L" models? Is the length different on say a 79 GS1000L and other 1000 models? Mine are tweaked and need replacing, just trying to figure out what will work. Thanks
    Also wondering if stator covers will work on the 79 1000, I think early 550 may work. What about 1100 engine covers?
    Still learning here, any help is always apreciated, thanks,Greg

The 550 covers won't enterchange. I tried that off of a parts bike when my stator went bad. the whole engine of the 550 is smaller. Stator cover off of an 1100 might work. Are there any bike graveyards in your neck of the woods that might carry old junk 78, 79 GS 1000s? The forks on the L have a different trail and are longer and softer sprung than those of the standard GS 1000. If you can't find a replacement, you may be able to take them to a local machine shop and have the ones you have straightened for a small charge. I did that once many years ago with a smaller bike and it worked out fine.

Comment

I am learning (slowly at times), thanks for the help. I guess I am still looking for forks, I haven't really checked into the cost of new fork tubes, and hope to install progressive springs at the same time. Any idea of how much this would cost? Thanks again

Comment

The standard GS850G, GS1000G, and GS1100G forks are practically interchangeable. The parts numbers may be different, and may have different specs, depending on the year. Still, one can put the forks off a 1982 GS850G on a 1980 GS1000G and they'll fit just fine on the triple tree, and down at the wheel. The brake calipers will fit and retrofit just fine, as will the speedo drive gear.

The forks off the L models are different in that they have a leading axle. This means the axle is forward of the end of the forks, unlike the standard models. The triple trees are identical, and so are the brake calipers, etc. The front fender is different on the L models due to the different position of the axle.

I can only speak for the shafties (that's what the suffix G means), though. Whether the forks off a GS750 will fit a GS1000 chain-driven bike, I don't know. Chances are they will. On my hybrid GS1100GK I have the fender off a GS750.

By the way, the stock forks off a GS1100GK are thicker in diameter and more widely spaced than the standard shafties. The smaller triple tree will fit the GK frame just fine, though. I know because that's what I have on my hybrid GK.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X