DYNA S hookup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DYNA S hookup question

Completely installed my DYNA S DS3-1 KD style on my 78gs550e. I can't get the static timing down. The light won't turn on when I rotate the plate. Does It need to be static timed first or can I just go ahead and time using the strobe timing light? Also is this the infamous spacer that I keep reading about? I'm under the impression that I don't need to use this on the DS3-1. It doesn't fit anywhere anyway.
    I just want to add. I did not try to start the bike with the new ignition. And I 'm using coils and wires from a 2004 Katana 600.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2006, 05:19 PM.

The spacer is only needed if you have slop in the rotor's movement on the shaft. If the rotor is snug and cannot move in and out on the shaft, no spacer is needed. (Make sure you're using the Dyna supplied rotor and not your old one.)

I never bothered with the static timing either. I found it nearly impossible to hold the rotor fully advanced while turning the crank. Just put the plate in the middle of the slots, start the bike, and use a timing light to dial it in.

Of course if you are doing the static timing procedure absolutely correct the light *should* go on when the rotor passes over the correct pickup coil. If not you may have installed it wrong. There's no harm in trying to start the bike, so give it a try and if it doesn't start then you've got it hooked up wrong. ;-)

Comment

Cool I'll try to start it. I just want to make sure of one thing. The pic that I have posted came with the DYNA. Are you refering to this as a spacer or a rotor. I was under the impression that if I needed a spacer of some kind it might be some type of washer.

Comment

The picture you posted is of the rotor. Sometimes you also need to find a washer or something to shore up the rotor if it has too much play on the shaft. The alignment is very precise, and if the rotor can walk out too far on the shaft it won't actuate the pickup coils.

Make sure you get the notches in the rotor base onto the mechanical advance weight tabs.

Comment

ok, I got it this time around. The "lobe" slid of of the shaft of the Mech. adv. and the "rotor" slid onto the shaft. \\/ go brown it's your birthday. Will put it on the bike tommorrow. Hopefully it'll fire and hopefully will not need a spacer. I'm on track now thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X