Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to get front end off the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to get front end off the ground?

Hi all-

Sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't find anything by searching.

I'm about to swap out the front end on my GS1000 to a Gixxer front end. To do this, I have to be able to get the existing front end in the air securely so I can detach it from the frame. Once the existing front end has been removed, there needs to be a way to hold up the bike up by its frame while I install the new front end. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2006, 01:07 PM.

Use a length of 2x4 up under the front of the engine or remove the exhaust and block the engine up. Once the front end is off the bike will probably rest on the rear wheel.

Comment

I use a heavy tool box, anvil etc. and a tie down strap attached to the rear grab rail or other frame member to rock the bike to the rear, lifting the front slightly and giving full unobstructed access to the forks. Obviously for this to work you have to have a center stand installed. Minor detail the heavy object used to counter balance the bike sits on the floor. Simple to do hard to explain.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2006, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm thinking that if I get the bike on the centerstand, then have someone sit on the rear part of the seat while pulling up on the handlebars, I can get the front wheel in the air. Once the front end is off the ground, I can then slide a 2x4 between the exhaust and frame, then support the 2x4 with jack stands like the ones below on either side to hold the bike up with the front end removed. What do you think? Also, what can be done to prevent the bike from tipping over sideways once lifted?

Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM.

Comment

No reason it won't work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Hi all-

Sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't find anything by searching.

I'm about to swap out the front end on my GS1000 to a Gixxer front end. To do this, I have to be able to get the existing front end in the air securely so I can detach it from the frame. Once the existing front end has been removed, there needs to be a way to hold up the bike up by its frame while I install the new front end. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks for any information.

With my 4 into 1 exhaust there is no way to jack my bike up from under the frame. When I rebuilt my front end, I attached two Ancra tie downs to the fuel tank standoffs (the ones with the rubber bushing over them). Then I securely attached the other ends to the ceiling, and hoisted the front up in the air, it worked awesome. It was a little tricky, as the bike could sway a bit, but it worked.

Comment

And I thought this was going to be a "how to" on wheelies! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                And I thought this was going to be a "how to" on wheelies! ;-)

Hehe, maybe if I rev the engine to 7000 RPM in the garage and then drop the clutch, I can wheelie the front end onto the workbench and then remove it! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? :shock:

Comment

I just put it on the centerstand, put a 2x1 under the sump casing and lift it with a small bottle jack.

I had the whole front end out like this. Just be careful not to push it sideways too much.

Comment

Nerobro and I... hell Rabidwolf and I also have used the double jack stand and rear wheel method numerous times...

Though depending on the exhaust you might need to remove your header to get em on the frame rails.

Comment

Floor jack with a 1 X 6 board under my stock pipes tilted it back on the centerstand, so I could remove the forks.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2006, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Padded jack stands under the exhaust -- put it on the centerstand, pick up the front wheel with one hand and position the jack stands with the other. It ain't enough weight to hurt the exhaust.

Once you have the front end off, it will likely rock back to rest on the centerstand and rear tire, so be ready for that.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

On my 1150, I just put the bike on the centerstand. Then sit a concrete block with a 16" long piece of 2"x6" laying flat on top of the block in front of the engine/pipes. Reach down with left hand, pick up front wheel, slide block with wood under engine with right hand. Front wheel in air. :-)

Earl
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you still have the stock exhaust, it's supposed to rest on the rear wheel when you remove the front wheel. At least some of the GS's do that. The idea is that when you pull the front wheel axle, the weight bias shifts to the rear and lifts the forks up allowing you to change the wheel easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              Hehe, maybe if I rev the engine to 7000 RPM in the garage and then drop the clutch, I can wheelie the front end onto the workbench and then remove it! Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? :shock:

We'll see ya when you get out of the hospital!:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X