82 Gs 1100gl Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 Gs 1100gl Carbs

Tried To Get My Pin Out Holding My Float.could Not Tap It Out.any Sugestions?? Thanks

I use pliers to squeeze it out, or get it started anyway. I squeeze from the end of the pin to the same stanchion. That way you won't snap the stanchion off as the pressure is only applied to the pin. I never tried, but maybe a little propane torch heat may help expand the aluminum to ease the grip on the pin. Aluminum expands greater and faster than the steel pin.

Comment

You can still snap the stanchion off with the pliers method...

Get a piece of metal and grind a notch in it with a Dremel so you can jam it between the stanchions. Angle the notch slightly so you can get a tight fit. I have an old ugly scrap of sheet aluminum for this purpose.

Now that the stanchions are supported, you can safely give the pin a healthier thwack with a punch and hammer.

I think Jethro orginally came up with this.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I soak with pb blaster for a while then hit with a little heat from a mini butane torch. Usually works.

Comment

Make sure to mop up the excess penetrating oil and gas, and don't direct the flame towards the floats.

Comment

Sorry bwringer, i dont agree.

Squeeze is good, no impact. I am only squeezing the pin from the one stanchon. I am not spread across the float to the other stanchion. A pair of pliers with one jaw shorter than the other works best.

Don't think carburetors and hammers should be in the same sentance.

Comment

Working...
            X