Valve train noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve train noise

Just how loud are properly adjusted valves?

I'm still working on my freebie '81 GS750E I got from my brother. The bike has been sitting for 4 years.
    Ever since I got it running a few weeks ago it has had a rattle in the engine once it got up around 4K. After some research, I figured it was the cam chain since my tensioner was completely froze up. I rebuild the tensioner and pulled the cam cover to check the valve clearances. They were all pretty tight, so I adjusted them on a loose side (.005"). I started the bike up this evening and I didn't notice the rattle anymore, but there is quite a bit of valve train noise. I didn't get out and ride it so it never got properly warmed up either. My brother said not to worry that for someone not used to it they would sound like a pea thrasher... which it does.
    Do I have anything to worry about or is the noise normal?
    thanks.

Most likely normal. Make sure the engine is up to full temperature though before you pass judgement.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

They all rattle. It's normal.

Comment

yep sounding like someone with finger nails going to town on a key board is normal, especialy if you adjust on the loose side.

running with valves on the loose side does cost you some power (less lift and duration!!)

it's when they get nice and quiet that you have a problem.

Comment

I was always worried my engine sounded so nasty that at any moment it was sure to explode. That was 40k miles ago.

I fixed it with a very technical solution... earplugs.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

005"......? That's about 0.13mm. The valve gear will definitely be noisy, and you will be down a bit on power. Normal valve clearance for a stone cold motor is 0.03-0.08mm.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post

it's when they get nice and quiet that you have a problem.
              so true, so true...

Always remember that valves wear to tighter tolerances.

Comment

Always remember that valves wear to tighter tolerances.
                Yep, and that's why I like to always adjust to the widest specified tolerance. Sure it's a bit rattlier, but when you accept that it's a mechanically GOOD sound, it kind of becomes like music to your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  005"......? That's about 0.13mm. The valve gear will definitely be noisy, and you will be down a bit on power. Normal valve clearance for a stone cold motor is 0.03-0.08mm.
                  It was my understanding that the specs for my 16v engine was .09-.13mm.

Did I get get the wrong clearance specs? It's an '81 GS750E w/ 16v engine.
                  Todd.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    Originally posted by ToddStyles View Post
                    It was my understanding that the specs for my 16v engine was .09-.13mm.

Did I get get the wrong clearance specs? It's an '81 GS750E w/ 16v engine.
                    Todd.
                    I should be okay. I did some more research and the .03-.08mm clearance specs are for the 8v engine, not my 16v engine.
                    thanks,
                    Todd.

Comment

Working...
                    X