Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear end upgrade shopping list - '80 GS1000

Hi all-

I'm planning on upgrading the rear end of the '80 GS1000 to be able to accept wider, 160 section radial rubber for better handling. Any help would be much appreciated.

As part of this, from what I gather from searching, the shopping list goes like this:

1. A GS1100 swingarm, modified to be able to mount a brake torque arm on the bottom side.
    2. A 4.5x17" rim, and its associated sprocket, cush drive, and brake rotor. I'm planning on using a 2003 Katana 600 rim to do this, like the one pictured below, with the tire upgraded to a Michelin Pilot Power. Do I need to get the Katana axle and bearings too, and will that axle fit the GS1100 swingarm? Or can I use the stock GS1000 axle and bearings on this wheel and the 1100 swingarm?

3. Since the new rear
    sprocket is a 530, and to prevent the existing 630 chain from hitting the tire, the front sprocket will need to be changed to a 530 version as well, with a 6 mm spacer up front to get the new 530 chain to line up correctly. I'll keep the gearing ratio pretty close to stock at around 2.8. Is there a difference in the height of the cush drive between the Katana rear wheel and the GS rear wheel? If so, what kind of additional spacers do you need?
    4. A Katana rear brake assembly(master cylinder, hose, caliper), its torque arm, and caliper hanger.
    5. New rear shocks, some IKONs look rather nice.
    6. Can I use the chain adjusters from the GS1000 on the GS1100 swingarm?
    7. Is the swingarm pivot bolt the same diameter and length on the 1000 as the 1100?

What am I missing, completely off on, or not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM.

If you're going to install a radial tire on the rear, you should swap the front rim to something that will take a radial also. I have heard, but not experienced personally, that mixing radials and bias ply tires on the same bike is not a good idea.

TR

Comment

Originally posted by triffecpa View Post
      If you're going to install a radial tire on the rear, you should swap the front rim to something that will take a radial also. I have heard, but not experienced personally, that mixing radials and bias ply tires on the same bike is not a good idea.

TR
      Definately. The front end is being swapped out with a Gixxer front end.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Katana rear cush drive/sprocket carrier is the same size as the GS cush drive so that the chain will line up correctly with the front sprocket?

Will the Katana rear axle fit in the GS1100 swingarm?

Much obliged for any information. \\/

Comment

Working...
        X