Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can fuel petcock diaphragm be repaired?

Hi All,
    I noticed last week that there was fuel running out from under my bike when on the side stand. Thinking it was a stuck float I proceeded to remove the take to get to the carbies. Once I removed the carbies I noticed that the fuel was dripping from the fuel line at the tap, which as far as I knew it shouldnt unless there is a hole in the diaphragm.

After dismantling the petcock I found a very small crack in the diaphragm. I went to order a new one from my local Bike Shop but they said that you cant buy the diaphragm on its own, You can only buy the whole petcock tap.
    So now my question is, can the diaphragm be repaired or replacement be made using something like an inner tube or kids blowup raft (obviously not the whole things, just cut a piece out to the right size)

Dan

I would be afraid of using other types of rubber as the gas may eat it up or the rubber may not be flexible enough for the vacume to open up. What kind of bike do you have. I was able to get a rebuild kit for mine.

Comment

Try here for a diaphragm.

A lot of local shops won't bother trying to find parts for older bikes. If the manufacturer doesn't carry it, it doesn't exist, as far as they're concerned. Becoming proficient with internet search engines is becoming a must if you want to maintain an older bike.
      JP
      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
      1992 Concours
      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
      2007 FJR

Comment

Try George Fix on ebay. They always have them listed.

Comment

BUY A NEW PETCOCK!!!!!! NOW! GIT TO IT!

Here's a good, inexpensive source for OEM parts:

Sheesh, the ingenuity and time people will spend on dangerous, idiotic petcock bodges is utterly astounding.

You have a container of explosive fuel between your legs, and a worn-out 25 year old valve a few inches from your testicles is the only thing keeping this highly flammable substance off the hot engine. And you want to try and save a few bucks?

As I've said many, many times, buy a new petcock and forget about it for another 20 years. Even if they're available, rebuild kits often don't work because the petcock body is corroded or the kit parts are incorrect, low quality junk.

If you can't scare up the measly $50 or $60, sell some plasma or something. Maybe we can take up a collection.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just rebuilt mine from cycle re-cycle (part 2)

the kits are made by K&L easy to rebuild.

very fast shipping, they had to have it in the mail the second I ordered, as it came priority mail in just two days!!\\/

this brings up a very important point, modern gas makes rubber turn hard and brittle, the petcock I re-built didn't leak a drop but I discovered the diaphragm was VERY VERY stiff and hard.
            it should have been very soft and supple.

I wonder how many people out there are having issues with how their engine runs under load and it is all caused by a hard stiff diaphragm that wont let the valve open fully??

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to buy a new one but at the moment I have so many other things to pay for (had to get a new battery for it yesterday at $102). Plus the new petcock is gonna cost $88 for the cheaper non genuine type.
              I just thought that maybe there might be a larger rubber diaphragm for a part of a car carby/fueltank or somewhere I could buy & cut down to use, that way it would still be fuel resistant.
              Didnt mean to get anyone worked up. Was just asking thats all, I just cant afford a new one right now.
              Dan

Comment

Working...
              X